Fuel Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Question

This is mainly a question for the guys who have restored their bikes, or done the tanks of their bikes, but if you got an answer...shoot away

I am in the early stages of doing the restoration / alteration to the bike I have come to call "The Tank" Reason for the name is due to the PO's artisic visionary idea's of painting the bike flat friggen black. Anyways, I was wondering if those of you who have stripped your tanks down to the metal noticed alot of xsess bondo work on your bikes. There must have been three or for mm of the stuff on the bike, funny thing though, was it was actually one hell of a good job.

Another question for you guys...were the tank badges ever welded on?

And last, but not least, I'd like to share the vision of my tank "reshaping" with you all. After finally getting the tank down to the bare metal, I have decided to shape the bottom lip of the tank from where the top and the bottom are welded together. Kinda rounding the tank a little more, and getting rid of solid edges...I don't know, I think it's kinda a cool idea...will post pictures once it's done.
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Had very little on my tank on the restore but then again I did it the first time to. No badges are plastic, how could you weld to metal anyway.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

wasn't too sure as to if there were metal badges on the bike at one time. From what I can tell, where the badges are supposed to be there is some really really good welding on both sides, almost like a metal patch in the tank or something...eh I don't know...

Hey, how the hell do you post pictures on here, I took a couple snaps of the tank, and the start of the build up on the tank?
      80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Hey Arctic rider,
        Check out this thread for posting photos.....it's in the How To Forum:How to post photos

That metal bar was the mounting bar that was welded to the tank over/into a recess in the tank, supposed to have threaded holes in the ends for screwing the badges to!! Was probably bondoed over by PO!?

IF you're talking about filling in the space between the bottom flat of the tank and the welded ridge, go for it, I just wouldn't GRIND off that ridge! Was just a relatively cheap way Yamaha bonded the inner and outer parts of the tank together, mostly hidden well inside and under the tank, not sure how much of a cosmetic improvement you'll get!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I was thinking of filling that when I redo my tank too. The bottom is well hidden, but the front is an eyesore ever time I look at it.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Iv'e seen guys weld a filler piece into the bend normally made for the badge. That way not as much bondo had to be used.
            There's always a way, figure it out.
            78XS11E

Comment

Working...
            X