Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turn signals abruptly quit working?......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signals abruptly quit working?......

Signals been working fine on the 81H after intermitingly working before. took switch control apart and polished contacts, been working fine. Parked bike in garage after doing poker run Sun. and today got it out riding and signals not working. Other than flasher maybe being the problem, are the signals wired through any of the fuses on the fuse panel? All other lites work fine, marker lites on fairing, tail, brake, headlamp which doesn't even dim at idle after cleaning all plug in from front to rear and dielectic grease in all plug ins, that with running a 80/85 watt bulb. Seeing if someone has a quick first place to check, as I think problem is simple cause they worked, and overnite they didn't. (unless murphy is hidin in garage somewhere)
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

When you try the signals, do the lights turn on but not flash? Or do they not come on at all? Does the front light turn on but the rear doesn't? Is it both left and right, or just one side? If the lights come on but don't flash... flick the flasher unit with your finger. Do the lights flash?
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

They don't come on at all Doc
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Check the 20 amp turn signal fuse, 2nd from the right in the fuse panel.
        Rick
        '80 SG
        '88 FXR
        '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Check the grounds inside the fairing. My Vetter gave me fits until I drilled out the original and installed my own plug in type. Anytime mine would get bumped by something stored in the fairing I would have trouble.
          There's always a way, figure it out.
          78XS11E

Comment

Thanks fxrer!, that'll be my first check, let you all know what fixed it. Thanks again foe the input.

Comment

First elimination is any bad ground as I stated Pathfinder, the marker elements all work.

Comment

My lights always worked just not the signals even with a bad ground. The wire would bend at the light inside fairing on the right side. The right side thru the vetter harness affects both sides. Left side problem only is left side ground.
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

Thanks Pathfinder......I'll check that out. Checked fuses and both side of fuse holder with test lite, all good(hate when it's not that simple). I'll check in fairing housing, but I got a idea the problem lies within the switch assembly, as I had to re-solder one of the little wires back on the contact awhile back. I'm headed to Salt Lake tomorrow to sister's for turkey day, so I'll mess with it when I get back. Something to look forward to as the bike was being boring anyways, just put gas in and ride it. What would we do if it weren't for these little glitches on these bikes. For me, I would just be riding my too quiet, boring Honda ST. They're almost too depenable, to a fault.....lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X