How do I clean up my XJ1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clean up my XJ1100?

I recently purchased a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Ruby Red Motorcycle. It needs a little work, but I think will look real good soon. The Exhaust is pretty well done for. It works, but is black (use to be chrome) and has been ambrosed right at the clutch or so. I am looking for some more stock 4-2 pipes. I think I found some, just waiting to see the price they want for them.

What do I need to do to clean it up. The whole thing? I figure you don't take it to a car wash like a truck. I heard about GUNK, and double-ought steel wool. Any tips on how to make this motorcycle look as good as it runs?

Thanks, Justin

Once I get it cleaned up, and going, I will get some pictures so I can get some constructive criticism.
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

steel wool

i hear steel wool is a no-no. does a very good job at making the aluminum shiny, but it will look like crud very quick afterwards. this is because the steel wool leaves behind bits in the aluminum. the two differnt metals in contact make a little ittybitty battery and produce a current which makes the aluminum corrode.

that said... i use it somtimes for a quick fix

you can get plastic wheels that go on a drill to do the big areas and scotch brite pads to get in the nooks and crannys.

you wanna practice on my engine before ya start urs?
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

I really like the s-100 motorcycle wash, but only for regular cleaning. You need to use a good aluminum polish like Mother's to bring out a high quality shine on the metal parts.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

How about cleaning it up though.

I just got my Used Muffler and Joint Pipes in, and I need to clean some rust off, and road grime. Any Ideas? I am getting desperate here. I have not been able to ride my bike very much since I got it.

I would like to make mine look as nice as ol' Mike's 82 F'n'XJ...

Thanks, Justin

82 XJ11

Comment

If it's just surface rust on the muffler and header pipes, you can sometimes clean it off with a product called Naval Jelly. Mind you, this only works with surface rust and minor pitting. Follow with a good chrome polish such as Autosol or Mother's. If they are past the minor pitting point there isn't much you can do with them to make them shiny. Paint with hi-temp header paint in an effort to make them last as long as possible. Another option is to get them ceramic coated.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by jgalle

I would like to make mine look as nice as ol' Mike's 82 F'n'XJ...

Thanks, Justin
            Gee thanks Justin, but up close and personal, mine has plenty cosmetic flaws! Two XJs I haven't seen pix of here (yet) that are mighty clean and fine looking, even up close, are Herb Johnston's and Gary Berg's. Mine looks a bit sad sitting next to theirs
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I am a cleaning fool on my bikes. My wfe wishes I had the same instinct for her car and the house, although I did detail her bike beyond belief. I suggest you order a catalogue from the Eastwood Company online. They offer everything you can imagine for restoration. They are a little bitchy on the phone when you check on an order., but otherwise they are good. We used the gas tank rust treatment for wife's cycle and did a good job. Just follow instructions. I am a big user of the polishing rouges and buffing pads for metal. You would be surprised what
              you can accomplish. I have people at work on my butt to polish their cycles and car wheels. That's how good you can do it-.great therapy for me after 13-14 hour day at work.
              best of luck,
              xjguy

Comment

Originally posted by xjguy
                I am a cleaning fool on my bikes.
                We should hook up sometime, I'm in Atl. and am trying to bring my bike to pristine condition. Email me at xs1137@yahoo.com and let's go riding, esp. since it is starting to get really nice here.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

Hey Robert, sounds good to me. I'll try to get in touch soon or try my e-mail ttr49@yahoo.com. Hope you can put up with me after a 25 year absence of regular riding. Keep Chili Cookoff at stone mountain park in mind.

Thomas the xjguy

Comment

If you want to remove all the old clear coating so you can clean and polish the cases, nothing works like gasket remover or paint remover... brush on, wait, wash off. then polish polish and polish some more. Mechanical devices help, I only had elbow grease!
                    Carolyne

Comment

[IMG]side covers 1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I will put a picture up here when I get back from Dallas, However, assume you saw a bike that somebody rode once a week around the block for 20 years, and never cleaned it up once, besides the gas tank.

With that said, I need something to really clean the engine up, and that would make the bike a lot better. looks like the engine use to be black, but the paint is falling off? Sound Familiar?

Tried the S-100, was really dissappointed. Did not clean the little bits of road grime off the pipes even, had to scrub a lot with just water to get it to look half decent.

82 XJ11

Comment

Working...
                        X