odd brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd brake problem

I was out for a ride enjoying some rare nice fall weather. Cruising along the freeway and my speed started to drop but rpm's didn't. Pulled over on the shoulder to see what the problem was and my foot brake was stuck down, hard. I was able to limp the bike home (first time trying to ride with the brakes constantly applied) and parked it for the night. Went to investigate the problem in the morning and the brakes were fine and working as they should. Anyone have any suggestions as what to check?
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Check arond the return spring for the brake pedal. Also disassemble it and grease it well. Doubt that it has anything to do with the hydraulics... if the master or caliper was hangin' up... the pedal should still return. Sounds mechanical.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Had the same prob with mine, for a quick fix I used some wd-40 to free the shaft the pedal depresses, and then put some type of heavy oil in and around the shaft.

Later I will disesemble, use a wire wheel or the like to clean it up and grease it.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

SPOOGE! Use this in the search tool at the top of the page and your questions will be answered.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Spooge. I thought maybe that was the issue but when it went away the next day. Thanks for the help guys, I will tear into it in the morning.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have something similiar happen on my xj. I removed the rear brake lever and shaft and took a brake cylinder hone to the bore that the shaft goes into. Also took a wire wheel to the shaft itself and cleaned it up. I used a light synthetic grease on the shaft when I reinstalled. Ive been contemplating about drilling a hole in the bore and installing a grease zerk to lubricate this area with the oil change.

Comment

flb

thats a good ide-er ya got there flb i might do that also... . I had the same thing happen to me on XJ . took apart cleaned well greesed it up and worked like new. only thing with the greese fitting there are no seals on the ends to keep out water and such or keep lube in and such. But one pump on oil changes couldn't hurt.
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I'll join the rest and say the same thing happened to me. Wondered why my forks were shaking while cruising down the interstate. Also had loss of power. Got to work and used my lunch hour to find that my calipers, all three, were sticking. They would eventually release especially over night. Worked great until I braked a couple more times.

Good luck.
                "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
                79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                80 xs11sg
                81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
                X