Rear Brake Removal 79F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Removal 79F

According to the Clymers I have to remove the rear axel, fender bolts, swivel the fender up to be able to remove the whole caliper???? Tell me it ain't true
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

No, it is not true. You only need to loosen the retaining screw shown as part #5 in this fiche image and remove the bolt shown as part #8. The caliper will lift straight up.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Ken..makes sense. Course when I went out this morning, took the front bolt off, went around to the back to remove the back one and guess what.....its enough to make a grown man cry. Yep, the head was snapped off.

Out comes the drill
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

If it is only the retaining screw that is broken off, you should still be able to get the caliper off. With the main bolt removed, grab the bottom of the caliper and twist it, pulling out on the bottom and pushing in on the top. This will force the piston back into the bore. If you can get it back far enough, you'll be able to wiggle the caliper back and forth enough to get the inside pad to come free of the screw. The broken screw will be a whole lot easier to remove this way rather than fighting with it through the rear wheel.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Great information. Managed to get it out with a BIG screwdriver and lots of bad words. Piston is frozen to the caliper naturally, dont think the PO ever used the rear brakes, pads look like new but the insides are all rusty. Major cleaning job.
          Probably just buy new calipers and piston rather than mess around with the old one.

thanks

Jack
          82 XJ100J Gone
          83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Ooh, hold on there, Jack. Even if your caliper looks all nasty, there's a good chance it will clean up okay. Matter of fact, you're not going to be able to buy new calipers anyways. You will be able to find pistons, but check yours out first.

About all you're going to find for calipers is somebody else's 25 year old unit that they may or may not have taken some time to clean up. Worst case scenario - you'll have to buy a rebuild kit with new rubber bits. Best case scenario - you'll get everything apart with no damage and be able to clean it all up, pout it back together, and it will work like new.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah that rear caliper is probably shot. Total junk. Put it in a box and send it to me and I will dispose of it for you for no fee. *eyes rolling and whistling innocently*

In all seriousness...
              Man, don't throw out your caliper just because it is a little rusty! When I bought my bike it had sat outside for 2 years and I had to use half a can of WD-40 just to get it to roll on the trailer. The brakes were totally locked up and a mess. They are amazingly easy to work on. Much easier than carbs! Some emery paper, a wire brush, a rebuild kit and a few hours and you will be golden. If you do decide to go the new caliper route be sure and sell your old ones.
              1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Actually the caliper is aluminum so all the brown gunky stuff is dot 3 that's crusted up.
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

Working...
                X