Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Repper
    Mike is that fairing on thier web site? because I didn't see it
    Here's the link: http://www.jcwmotorcycle.com/autopar...&searchbtn.y=3 Hope it works!
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Thanks guys.

This part however concerns me about the rounded fairing:

Special Ordering Note: Fairing is NOT designed or recommended for installation on cycles with high-mounted-style turn signals that are attached to the headlight mounting bracket. Installation on these cycles would require cutting and drilling of the fairing body sides or the removal or relocation of the turn signals.
      Repper
      1980 XS 1100 SG -STB
      "Surrender The Booty"

Comment

Pat Kelly has the kind with the cutouts for the turn signal stalks and he had to modify the cutouts anyway to clear the turn sigs. I think it would be pretty simple to use a coping saw or something to cut notches if you have to. Anyway Zoerman got his mounted OK.

I'm pretty sure it's the same fairing.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Ok Mike, what horns are on your bike? I like those!
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
            Ok Mike, what horns are on your bike? I like those!
            That's Zoerman's bike but they look to be Fiiams or similar. I had a set like that on my old CB750K.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

Comment

Pat
              Does the headlight bucket etc. stay as is when that fairing is mounted?
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Yep. That's kinda the one thing I don't like about it. You can't see the gold headlight ring (MNSpecial)
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad
                  Pat
                  Does the headlight bucket etc. stay as is when that fairing is mounted?
                  The Whitney catalog says that it mounts to the headlight, whatever that means.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Hey Pat,
                    Just received that Meier fairing. Nice size. Looks like it will work great. Couple questions though. I'm mounting the windshield to the fairing using that foam strip between the two. With the screws started you see a LOT of that foam. How tight did you crank on those screws and is the sandwiched foam very visible on yours? Don't want to be cracking anything but don't want to see foam either.
                    Is your shield Real Tinted? Didn't look that dark in the pictures.
                    Thanks
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Can't see any foam on the outside between fairing and windshield (could trim any XSess). I compressed the foam to about half it's thickness.
                      The windshield is a very dark tint. I only look through it over 100 MPH (almost never). I usually have a tank bag so I can't crouch that low in most cases.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

.. i bought my fairing from a guy in sarasota fl, he has two of this style in the picture hanging on the wall. he wants $95 bucks for the one with the round hole and $145 for the one with the square hole, these prices include shipping.
                        the place: Precision Cycle
                        call them @ 941 955 1355 ask for Ron and tell him where you read this.. oh yeah, and ask him about tire prices (they're real good)

Comment

.. after looking at Pat Kelly's bike (man, what a HOT bike!)again, i think i am going to buy that fairing again

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I need to take another photo without the 5 year-olds finger smudge on the lens .
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Pat, It finally got above freezing here so I'm out in the garage eyeballing how to mount this new fairing. You had said that you needed to do a little cutting of the plastic (dremel?). Would that be above the turn signal mounts in order to get the top of the fairing to fit back up against the headlight?
                              Yours looks to be on great so any direction on trimming/where to drill the holes would be appreciated. THANKS
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

I just used a sanding block on the upper edge of the turnsignal cutouts. I only removed an eighth of an inch or so.
                                A dermel would work too but I tend to get carried-away with a dremel.
                                The glare from the headlight on the inside of the fairing was disconcerting at night. I was (and may still) mount some weatherstripping around the headlight opening. What I did was use a (black of course) fannypack that sits on top of the gauges that blocks the glare. The straps go around the gauges and the upper triple-tree. Handy place to keep small items (tire gauge, inflator tube, disc lock).
                                Pat Kelly
                                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Working...
                                X