Maier Fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maier Fairing?

I am looking for a cafe style fairing and it looks like a lot of people use the Maier fairing. I found one at JC Whitney, but preferr the look of a more round windshield, which I can't seem to find from Maier.

Is there a reason to go with the Maier instead of another brand? Easier to mount? Stronger? Less vibration? More wind protection? Is there a round version that is just as good?

Thanks,
    Repper
    1980 XS 1100 SG -STB
    "Surrender The Booty"

I have the JCW Maier cafe fairing (the more expensive one). I love it and it looks great on my LG.
    It mounts at the headlight/turnsignal junction and to the forks. 4 points, so there is no vibration. It keeps the wind off my chest so I'm not as buffetted though my upper chest and head is in the wind.
    I didn't know it was a Maier until it arrived. I only saw the round headlight version in JCW.
    I have a photo here on the forum somewhere.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Is this the one you have?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000149307

or this one?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...aier%20fairing

I like the look of Namreoz's in this pic set here, but I dont know what it is:

http://www.zoerman.com/bike.jpg
      Repper
      1980 XS 1100 SG -STB
      "Surrender The Booty"

Comment

I have the second one part # ZX070639Y

Last edited by Pat Kelly; 11-13-2005, 10:34 PM.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

I like that look a lot! Are those superbike bars?

Thanks for the help
          Repper
          1980 XS 1100 SG -STB
          "Surrender The Booty"

Comment

Yes, I'm not too fond of the buckhorns.
            That is also a JCW seatcover. Not bad for $50. I have my Dad's wife sewing-up a replica of the stock seatcover (double-row stitching and slightly different profile).
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Pat. I too like that fairing. Does it give you much wind buffeting on your helmet? I'm not happy at all about the buffeting my small Memphis Shades windshield gives me, so I never put it on!
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

I'll get someone to take a pic of me on the bike so you can see what is in the wind.
                It comes about as high as the mid-point of elbow/shoulder so upper chest is exposed. Head is high enough to be out in the clean air and the buffetting is at chest height.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

More fairing questions.

If there's buffetting to your chest, is it an improvement over no shield?

Are the cutouts on the sides just for the turn signals to fit through or are they an actual mounting point?

Is it a simple bolt on?

Is the black finish pretty good so painting isn't necessary?

Thanks Pat
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

It's a marked improvement over no shield, especially over 80-90 MPH.
                    The cutout are to clear the turnsignal stalks. I had to modify the shape slightly to have them fit right. Nothing major.
                    The upper mount is 2 "L" brackets that attach where the turnsignals mount to the headlight. You have to determine the mounting holes in the fairing. 4 bolts hold the fairing to the 4 brackets. It would take 15 minutes or less to completely remove everything.
                    The finish is XSellent, especially on the MNS. I didn't paint it.
                    The one thing I didn't like was the glare on the inside of the fairing at night. I have some rubber trim I will (someday) put around the headlight opening to block this. In the meantime I have a (black of course) fannypack on top of the gauges under the windshield strapped around the insturment pod and forks that blocks 99% of the glare. A handy place to store an airgauge and my disclock. Without the fannypack a 20oz. bottle of water or soda rides there nicely.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

J. C. Whitney also carries the more rounded traditional style cafe fairing, think it might be an Emgo. (Dunno why Whitney doesn't mention brand names on most of their stuff.) Catalog says it mounts to the headlight and that you'll need to cut out the fairing for the turn signal mounts.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                        I have the second one part # ZX070639Y

Sharp lookin' ride Pat!
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Mike is that fairing on thier web site? because I didn't see it
                          Repper
                          1980 XS 1100 SG -STB
                          "Surrender The Booty"

Comment

I saw it in their print catalog. When I get a chance I'll look for it and give you an item #. Looks like the one on Zoerman's bike.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

ZX070639Y is the JCW part #
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Working...
                              X