Back in the fold: '79 XS1100F

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gtem
    replied
    Well, I've got her in the garage! Went on my first shakedown run yesterday after fiddling with some sticky brakes and an in-op rear (leaking rear master cylinder). The low speed fueling is absolutely bang-on spectacular, which is a huge relief. She does stutter a bit when I really get on it in the mid-range, my prime suspects are both the coil pickup wires and the fact that it had resistor type plugs installed at some point. I'm going back to stock spec BP6ES, we'll see if that helps. Aside from that, she needs new tires badly and the usual list of maintenance attended to (valve clearance check, all fluids changed, etc), but she's all there as I remember from 2 years ago.

    Just putting some air in the tires, lubing the throttle cable a bit and riding it, it's like you can feel the bike's stiff joints loosening up. The best thing you can do for any old bike is to ride it regularly!


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	881979

    Leave a comment:


  • gtem
    replied
    Originally posted by jkorn
    “Jeff if you have a stock exhaust in good shape, would you be interested in selling it perhaps?”

    I do have the stock exhaust. It’s a good as new but it’s on the shelf and staying with the bike for the future.
    Perfectly understandable!

    Leave a comment:


  • jkorn
    replied
    “Jeff if you have a stock exhaust in good shape, would you be interested in selling it perhaps?”

    I do have the stock exhaust. It’s a good as new but it’s on the shelf and staying with the bike for the future.

    Leave a comment:


  • LAB3
    replied
    Originally posted by gtem
    An aside, what is the official name of the '79 F brown/cinammon? I saw an old thread where the two "F" paint colors were Indigo Blue and "Magenta Red"... how could you ever call that metallic brown a "magenta red?"
    Dirt build up and oxidation. My bike is supposedly magenta red and ruby red although most people (including myself) see it as brown.

    Leave a comment:


  • gtem
    replied
    An aside, what is the official name of the '79 F brown/cinammon? I saw an old thread where the two "F" paint colors were Indigo Blue and "Magenta Red"... how could you ever call that metallic brown a "magenta red?"

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    The MACs. Rare pipe.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0317.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	881970

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    Originally posted by LAB3

    I'd try to find a couple of polished metal cannisters of some sort such as fire extinguishers and rig those up to hold gas, or perhaps an old six gallon gas tank used for outboard motors.
    LAB3, this bike did, in fact, have two fire extinguishers for gas tanks. They were so horribly constructed with RTV glued-in fittings that I tossed them before the photo shoot. This guy was a Hack Master with very limited talent. But I can't complain because I got the bike for free. With a title. Great motor and tranny. Also used the carbs after rebuilding. I now travel the earth with equipment that was once dead.

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    Originally posted by gtem
    that's awesome! What exhaust and what windshield is that if you don't mind me asking?
    The exhaust is a MAC 2 into 1 + 2 into 1. Great access to the oil filter and the cam chain tensioner. Relatively quiet but throaty. The windshield is a National that I picked up used for $10.00 at a swap meet.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/33561373696...Bk9SR-DSj9jTZA

    Leave a comment:


  • LAB3
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEBS11
    I run a stock 1980 motor out of this bike.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN3890.JPG Views:	3 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	881960
    I'd try to find a couple of polished metal cannisters of some sort such as fire extinguishers and rig those up to hold gas, or perhaps an old six gallon gas tank used for outboard motors.

    Leave a comment:


  • gtem
    replied
    that's awesome! What exhaust and what windshield is that if you don't mind me asking?

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    The bike today.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2705A.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	881964

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    Into the 1978 frame of this bike.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	00C0C_glV27D0liqz_1200x900.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	881962

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    I run a stock 1980 motor out of this bike.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3890.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	881960

    Leave a comment:


  • gtem
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEBS11
    I prefer the stump pulling low and midrange power of the 1980 timing parts coupled with the 1980 cams. A peaky, high rpm motor is not fun to drive unless you are constantly ripping on it. I guess it's fun if you like doing that. Poor motor.
    I'd be inclined to agree on prioritizing the "usable" part of the rev range over bragging rights. Do you run the '80 cams in an 80-81 motor with the bigger valves or a hybrid combo of high compression smaller valve 78/79 motor with '80 cams?

    Leave a comment:


  • DEEBS11
    replied
    I prefer the stump pulling low and midrange power of the 1980 timing parts coupled with the 1980 cams. A peaky, high rpm motor is not fun to drive unless you are constantly ripping on it. I guess it's fun if you like doing that. Poor motor.

    Leave a comment:

Working...