won’t start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won’t start

So I’ve had my XS11 for a few months now and it’s been amazing. However, I tried starting it today and it won’t start, my lights don’t even come on when my key is on. I tired to kick start it, nothing. Checked battery, voltage is over 12, looked for loose wires and couldn’t see anything suspicious, check spark plugs and they’re okay too. Any ideas? I’m getting frustrated and about ready to just take it to the shop.

Zumbador, the Stop/Run switch on right wide handlebar can be a common issue with the issue your bike is having, Remove from handle bar with plugin harness, carefully remove cover and clean the contacts of the switch. back together in reverse order. That switch and its internal contacts IS the final electrical circuit to either run or not.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If no lights are coming on with the key turned to the ON position the first thing I'd check is to see if the main fuse is blown, it's under the left side cover by the battery, an old style barrel fuse in an inline holder.
      1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Also, if you have the old glass fuse panel try rolling them in their holder to make sure they have good contact.

Comment

Your battery ground can also be looked at.

Comment

Another thing to check is the ignition switch connector inside the headlight bucket, it can melt/corrode and cut off all power to the bike. It will have 3 wires, red, brown, and blue if you have a 78-79, and will have an additional wire if you have an 80-81.
            2H7 (79) owned since '89
            3H3 owned since '06

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X