Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One part number, three distinct versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One part number, three distinct versions?

The gasket used where the number two pipe goes into the collector box failed on me in late August causing a noticeable exhaust leak. Being in the Indianapolis area at the time I went to Cycle Recycle which is basically a boneyard for late 70's-early 80's superbikes and picked one up.

That particular version was made of some sort of flexible material, my best guess is they used asbestos back in the day. Upon getting back to swap out the old one I couldn't help but notice that the one that came out was actually made of copper with some sort of woven material crimped into it. Put on the replacement I bought and didn't think much more of it.

Within about 400 miles the flexible material replacement gasket also failed, my guess is it needed to be stiffer to account for the grooves cut into the collector side of the joint to make it more flexible and allow for clamping. Being without an option available in northern TN where I was when it failed I hit a hardware store and bought some wood stove rope gasket material. This did the trick, until it didn't several hundred miles later.

OK, let's get the RIGHT part in there and fix it for good! Looked up the parts fische and found what I needed, Yamaha part # 3jj-14653-00-00 Did a web search and found something very interesting, at least THREE different versions of that part number sitting in Yamaha branded parts bags!

One version is much like the flexible one I got in Indy. The second version looks to be a plain piece of copper tubing with no coating and the third looks like the one I took out. I'm sure that part numbers get superceded quite often but THREE versions all using the same exact number was... weird.

Have one that most resembles the one I took out coming to a nearby post office, should have it Monday or Tuesday. Just found it rather absurd that there would be that much a difference in the same exact part number. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping this one works so I don't have to deal with it anymore!
    Last edited by LAB3; 10-05-2024, 07:12 AM.
    1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Hopefully this is the one you have coming. It is what the oem looks like. Yamaha 1L9-14714-01-00 SS 3JJ-14653-00-00 GASKET, EXHAUST 4 XS850 XS1100 Y1477 | eBay
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
      Hopefully this is the one you have coming. It is what the oem looks like. Yamaha 1L9-14714-01-00 SS 3JJ-14653-00-00 GASKET, EXHAUST 4 XS850 XS1100 Y1477 | eBay
      Yep, that's what originally came out and what I ordered to replace it with.
      1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-4-7156b02327.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	881840

Comment

Working...
        X