Fuel type for the XS1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel type for the XS1100 special

I've done some searching but surprisingly didn't find a lot of threads on this. My bike's side cover says to run 91 octane. I generally like to run ethanol free in my vintage bikes, however I can only get ethanol free in 87 octane. I definitely don't want the bike to ping or blow a hole in a piston, am I stuck with running ethanol fuel or is it ok to run 87?

ETHANOL FREE !!! octane doesn't matter all that much
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Ethanol free fuel is great if you can get it. I run pump gas with the standard (here in Connecticut) 10% Ethanol. I agree that octane does not seem to matter. I have never had any issues. Many hundreds of thousands of miles covered. However, don't use gas with more than 10% Ethanol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska021.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	881039

Comment

Ethanol free is what I was leaning towards, good to know that the octane level doesn't seem to matter too much for these guys.

Comment

The bikes WERE designed to run REGULAR GRADE gas. If you run premium, you will carbon up the inside of the engine. If you have put a big bore kit, and the compression has gone up, then you could run premium.
          With that said, I run regular grade ethanol free gas in my Special with no problems. and I do think it had a big bore kit installed, I've just never had the head off to see.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

With the way I travel searching for, finding and paying for ethanol free doesn't make much sense. I run plain ole 87 octane regular and will occasionally get some pinging at low RPM (65-70) highway speeds, I kick it down to 4th and it goes away. I've never had problems running it in any of my bikes, not sure why people seem to have such a bad attitude toward it.
            1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

mine will ping with 87, goes away with 89

However, with non- ethanol runs great with 87 89 90
              80 G

Comment

Sadly, many of us cannot find ethanol free anymore. It is gone.... not much we can do about that.

Comment

It's very rare here in the Northeast. I did see some out west once. 15% (ethanol) should be avoided totally for all older machines of any type including lawn mowers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9642.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	881187

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                    mine will ping with 87, goes away with 89

However, with non- ethanol runs great with 87 89 90
                    Sounds like 87 octane with 10% ethanol pings whereas 89 with ethanol doesn't ping? My 80 SG didn't ping on 85 octane 10% here in colorado. That is our regular.

That's the first time I've heard mention of ethanol versus non-ethanol making a difference in octane needed for an XS1100. Not doubting it, but seems rather irregular based on the whole of XS1100 experiences.

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                    X