1980 XS1100 Indicator issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100 Indicator issues.

I'm having problems with the Indicators on my 1980 US Spec XS1100, they work fine on the left but the flasher unit buzzes on the right side is on I have checked the globes all fine and all earths are fine that I can see, I have fed power on the right circuit to the warning light and that works.
    This model has Hazard lights (Not working at all) they have a seperate 2 pin flasher its fine have check it in another bike.

Hi Steve, I'm a little confused at your description. The left side works fine but the right just buzzes and does not light? All bulbs and grounds OK?

Click image for larger version

Name:	XS11 Flasher 1980.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	880802

Comment

Current flow in Hazard mode for right side.

Name:	XS11 Flasher HAZARD ONLY.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	880804

Comment

Current flow for right side turn signal flash only. Could be a dirty switch if all bulbs and grounds are good.

Name:	XS11 Flasher 1980 RIGHT SIDE SWITCH.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	880806

Comment

The hazard switch should also be cleaned. The other possible suspect is the self cancel unit.
          Last edited by DEEBS11; 07-18-2024, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks heaps will do that tomorrow I have some Electro clean could have some typical Yamaha corrosion on contacts and a small amount of resistance could upset the circuit Cheers Steve.

Comment

You might want to check out this VERY short thread

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...g-unit-removal
              1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

If the cancel unit was crook my thinking going by flow diagram neither side would cancel out by my thinking Cheers Steve.

Comment

On my bike the right side turn signal worked but not the left. All bulbs lit up just fine and in fact both sides flashed when I used the hazard switch. Then I noticed that if I turned the handlebars just slightly to the left that the left turn signal would work. Thinking I may have a wire making intermittent contact I put a VOM on the left handlebar wiring harness and tried wiggling it to see if I was correct in that assumption, it tested just fine. Finally I disconnected the auto cancel unit and everything worked.

There are other threads you can look into on how to get the auto cancel feature to work again. In this case I offered that piece of advice to help you easily rule in or out the auto cancel as the problem, hope this helps!
                  1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input Cheers Steve.

Comment

Working...
                    X