possible issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible issue

So I rode my 80 SG to work today-no issues going to work. Going home maybe 1/4 mile to my destination,the bike felt like it was bogging down. Had plenty of power but didn't sound right. In the driveway,I spritzed the pipes and they all steamed. I reved it up and no issues-maybe bad fuel? Going to look at the spark plugs when I get a chance.Fuel leftover from last year even though its been treated.
    Last edited by oldyam80sg; 06-04-2024, 04:09 AM.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

I just had a similar problem with stale gas with treatments. I would drain the old gas and replace with fresh.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Could also be the charging system. Might be running off the battery only.

Comment

All good points. 1st thing I did was check the fuel in the tank-It was maybe half full. Will look at it this weekend.
        Last edited by oldyam80sg; 06-10-2024, 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Check the condition of the vacuum lines leading to the petcock/octopus.
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Long eliminated the octy. I run Pingel fuel valves and 2 fuel filters.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I went to look at the bike today.Pulled #1 and #4 spark plugs and both had the tan color.. I started the bike and it started to act up-then I realized I didnt turn the fuel on. Switched both petcocks to on and the bike ran normally. I will put fresh fuel in the tank and try to get a ride to pick it up.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

It was supposed to rain today so when it didn't, I rode the bike to my storage unit and walked 1 1/4 mile before my brother picked me up so i could get my Jeep. No issues. I also added some Berrymans Chem tool to the gas tank as a preventative measure.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Iffin' it acts up again? (O_o)

If you have see thru lines and filters then get off the bike and while it's running (even poorly....) put it on the center stand. Hopefully it'll be daytime or you'll need an inspection light, but do take a look at the lines/filters on both sides to verify there's actually fuel in'em. (^_^)

In cases where the tank gas cap vent is plugged and there's actually a Vacuum in the tank? (O_o)7

You'll see empty lines/filters or there'll be bubbles blurping upwards as the tank tries to equalize it's internal pressure by sucking air outta the float bowl past the float needle/seat. (;☉_☉)

Iffin' you see THAT then turn off the bike. Take off yur helmet. Stick the key in the gas cap slot. Then listen fOaR the WhOoSh of air as you turn the key/release the cap seal. (ΘεΘ)

Whoosh is BAD and indicates the cap vent no wurky. ٭(•﹏•)٭

Just as an added complimication? (- ‿◦ )

This last year I finally added a fuel stabilzer (Stay-Bil) as part of a soft lay-up before walking away from my bike fOaR what was s'posed to be 4 months but ended up being 8. The fuel had evaporated mostly due to a not-so-perfect cap seal and was about 1/2 gallon of tar like GOO. I mean like asphalt tar or roofing tar. Mebbe cuz of the "Stay-Bil" or mebbe not. I dunno. ┐(´~`)┌

But mOaR importantly, wutEVER that concoction was in my tank, it actually ATE up the aluminum spacer/adapter plate my after market petcocks threaded into. Same sorta arrangement you have with yur Pingles, right? (O_o)7

Adapter plate mebbe 1/2 inch thick mated into the tank and yur petcocks thread into the adapter plate?

I mean it when I say it ATE up those plates (both) as they disintegrated and let the tar/goo drip out PAST the petcocks which were still in place/intact. I can post pics if you want...

Dunno if it was the concentrated toxic GOO (additive involved) or some sorta electrolysis goin on. The tank is steel but both the adapter plate and the petcocks main body(s) were aluminum.

Mebbe you sprung fOaR the steel adapter plate and steel petcock so there's no dissimilar metal shenanigans for the fuel stabilizers to exacerbate.? (O_o)

REgardless, I replaced the aftermarket petcocks/adapter plate with used OEM petcocks I rebuilt and am shying away from adding any fuel additives for the time being. ¯\_(⊙_ʖ⊙)_/¯

Comment

The questionable fuel must have passed as I rode the bike yesterday and no issues. Hard to get non ethanol fuel in my part of NJ. I do use Stabil in small amounts but dont fully trust it as there are far better products out there. I put some Berrrymans chem tool in as a precaution and also run Techtron .
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Try Star-tron if you can get it, it's supposed to be the best...

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Phil-I got a bottle of that in the garage at my Moms house. Will try it.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                        X