Potential project 79 XS 11 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential project 79 XS 11 Special

Hey all! I'm new to the vintage bike world and wanted some input before pulling the trigger to buy this 1979 XS 11 Special. Seller states it's been sitting for years and doesn't have a battery, but has the title and keys.

I added all the pics from the listing plus what I had the seller send me, and would appreciate feedback from the folks in this group who I'm sure know miles more than me about this bike.

Is this worth the $500 asking price? Is it missing anything glaring? Anything I should know/ask/look out for when I go to look at the bike?
    Last edited by MGargano; 04-12-2024, 01:37 PM.

Some more pics

Comment

Last few pics

Comment

Howdy MGargano,,,,bike looks pretty stock, missing tank decals, only 13k is pretty low milage,,,a good thing. Before buying
        1. check to see if owner put filters in the gas line from the petcocks, if not do not try to start as it could suck in crud into the carbs,,,,,if filters are in both gas lines check tank for gas,,,if any in it its probably no good from sitting, if empty and clean inside put a half gallon in, spray some instant start into the air filter inlet, hook up to a battery or jump from a car and see if it will fire a bit.
        2. if there is spark,,,,very good,
        3. if tires are old, that is a bargaining point as they are a couple hundred to make it safe
        4. lift up seat and check to see if wires look stock, and check fuse box on right side under the cover for rust, crappy wires,,,,etc
        5. check registration,,,,I dont know Jersey laws but you do not want to pay past registration fees if its been sitting awhile and due, maybe call dmv and check, also check owners last time it was registered.
        6. Geico has super cheap bike insurance
        7. these bikes are beasts and run forever being pretty simple to keep going, especially with all the info on this site and experienced members, they have done, seen it all with these great bikes
        8. the xs 1100 handles like a gorilla with rocket power,,,,not for the timid
        9. 500 cash is probably ok if there is spark, it fires up a bit, and doesnt have wiring molested, has very low mileage, as these bikes go 100 k easy,,,,,,,,,,keep us informed, Mike in San DIego, and Pa.

Comment

How mechanically inclined are you? There is going to be a good amount of work to get that on the road. All consumables will need to be replaced... most systems worked on to get going again I am sure... possible gas tank resto needed (most likely), definitely brakes, carbs, etc etc. If you want an XS project, 500 bucks seems alright to me. It looks for the most part complete. All depends what you are looking for. If you are not handy, and you are wanting something to ride this summer.... no way.

Comment

if you do get it,,,write back and someone will give you the best methods to restore the xs to good running glory..........Mike in San DIego and Pa

Comment

$500 seems fair enough to me. As already mentioned look to see that the bike is complete, that the wiring hasn't been hacked up and whether or not you want to commit your time and effort into getting it up and running. If you aren't willing to work on it yourself you'll have a difficult time finding someone who will and chances are you'd be better off in the long run investing in an already roadworthy bike. On the other hand if you do choose to do the work yourself you'll have the confidence in knowing your bike inside and out which is priceless!
              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely handy and mechanically inclined, but I haven't done much wrenching on motorcycles. I do have two others (2000 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa and a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS) that are in drivable condition, so I'm not worried about the time it would take to restore this one. Just want to make sure I go into with my eyes open and don't end up with something I can't find parts for.

Comment

Ah looks like someone bought the bike. Seller said he got the full $500 from someone sight unseen. I told him to let me know if it falls through

Comment

The guy that bought it will probably end up here.

Comment

Found another potential option. This one is a 1978 XS 11 (not Special) listed for $1,500. Thoughts?

Yamaha xs1100 New intake boots
                      Carbs cleaned last summer
                      Good cosmetically
                      Smoke a bit on startup
                      Clean title in hand
                      Runs well except for the smoke
                      Last edited by MGargano; 04-13-2024, 11:17 PM.

Comment

'78 Standard, normal droopy rear turn signals, but looks like it's in overall good condition. Smoke at start up is a problem I'm having with my '79 Special, and I think it's the valve stem seals. I would try for $1250 as a first offer on it.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Something looks odd with the speedometer. Possible accident. looks like it went down on the left side and was pushed up so hard that it touched the handlebar clamp to put a dent in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5619.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	878958

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                            Something looks odd with the speedometer. Possible accident. looks like it went down on the left side and was pushed up so hard that it touched the handlebar clamp to put a dent in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.9 KB ID:	878958
                            They've probably been taken apart before and the rubber gasket is either shot or gone, mine didn't look too much different until I got the rubber gaskets replaced.

Smokes on startup would be a red flag for me.
                            Last edited by LAB3; 04-13-2024, 03:37 AM.
                            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yes, that IS damage from a drop! As with anything else, check things out and put "price drop" checks for damage as you have in the picture.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X