1979 xs1100 stopped charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 xs1100 stopped charging

I rode the bike and it stopped charging, the tachometer and head light quit working. I cleaned the wires behind the fuse box they were in pretty good shape. I ohmed the rectifier it seemed to be ok, I tryed the metel gauge to the alt it wouldn't stick. I took the cover off the alt and the magnet is real weak. is there a way of testing it. thanks

Look for a loose connection. There are many of them in that system.
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

I was doing some test and found i have 12 volt on both the brown and green wire behind fuse box, I read if you have batt volt on green it won't let alt charge. what makes it have 12 volt?

Comment

The most likely cause of a charging failure would be a bad regulator or the connection between the 3 phase stator and the regulator is open due to bad connection. You probably ran on battery until it went low. I'm sure the magnets are fine. You should have continuity between all three legs of the stator but none of them should have continuity to ground. An open leg or a leg shorted to ground would cause no output. I would be looking at connections and the regulator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	878804
        Last edited by DEEBS11; 04-04-2024, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
          The most likely cause of a charging failure would be a bad regulator or the connection between the 3 phase stator and the regulator is open due to bad connection. You probably ran on battery until it went low. I'm sure the magnets are fine. You should have continuity between all three legs of the stator but none of them should have continuity to ground. An open leg or a leg shorted to ground would cause no output. I would be looking at connections and the regulator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	878804
          I have continuity on all 3 wires and none to ground. I unhooked the green wire just to see if it would charge, it didn;t help. it said it should have low voltage on it until the motor starts then the volts come up.

Comment

maybe keep it simple
            1. charge up your battery with a battery charger fully
            2. check the battery voltage not running, should be around 12v. with any simple voltmeter
            3. check the battery when running, and revved a bit, should be around high 12v, 13v
            4. if both check out, your battery and charging system are good, also clean the ground connection from the neg. battery terminal to the frame,,,,has caused many a member to go crazy, keep us updated
            5. good to see Motoman checked in,,,he is the man for xs advice......

Mike in SanDiego and Pa

Comment

has anyone got a good regulator they would sale

Comment

Try herehttp://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/ Tony has been a member for years, and builds a GREAT reg/rec for our bikes. Not cheap, but worth the money, IMHO.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

ok I wasn't sure what the problem was so i got a cheap after market regulator to see if it helped it. when i started it up the head light came on and the teck started working. only problem it only charges about 12.8 volts, do you think that will be enough? thanks

Comment

You probably need about 13.4V to keep the battery charged. You DO need to check the voltage with the engine running at least 2,500rpm's. Again, this is the part you need to spend a little money on.OEM these would do 30 amps max at about 3,500RPM. The one from OMP will do the 30 amps at about 2,800RPM, and has better diodes that can take a little more abuse.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Your cheap regulator is probably Chinese. It very well could leave you on the side of the road at the most inopportune time.

Comment

I second what Ray has told you about Geezer's products. The are top notch and will give you many years of service.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          I second what Ray has told you about Geezer's products. The are top notch and will give you many years of service.
                          I didn't know if my regulator was bad or not and didn't wont to spend a lot of money if that wasn't my problem. so now I can get a good one. thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X