Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs1100

New to xs1100
    hi this is my xs just bought running project bit of long shot says on the add drive shaft jumping has anyone come across with this issue thanks in advance 🙏

If the carbs aren't already dialed in you can look forward to a challenge on that end, not having the stock air box opens up a real can of worms to get the bike running right. Should be some folks on here to help point you in the right direction, not impossible just finicky.

The drive shaft "jumping" sounds like some worn or stripped splines, pulling the rear wheel off and looking things over where the drive unit mates up to the rear wheel should give you your best shot at figuring out that issue. Not saying that's where the problem is just the most likely spot to look and besides, it'll only take a short while to do
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks
      Iam going to have a look into the carbs thank🙏

Comment

Take it for a short ride if you can. If the shaft "jumps" only in second gear, it's not the shaft. My guess is the second gear dogs are rounded.. You can repair them in about one day, if you have things set up before hand, and one good helper. Do a search on second gear fix to see your options.
        Carbs should not be that bad, although some type of air filter should be on them. With filtered air going into the engine, these bike can cover well over 150K miles with little problems. If you do have to jet the carbs, and you probably will, make sure you ONLY USE Mikuni jets!!! Aftermarket jets are NOT the correct size, even if they are stamped as such.
        If you would like a little help, post you location and any owner near by may be able to land a hand, and some advice.
        Welcome to the madness, and know you should be able to put this bike in high gear at 35mph, and pull hard from there all the way up!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yep, the splines on the rear of the driveshaft can wear and cause this if they haven't been properly greased. Something to check.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I been running carbs with no airbox for years. Everything must be clean-there are tiny holes in parts in the carbs that can eaily cause issues. The one benefit with no airbox is carbs are easier to remove. Shaft drive bikes must be lubed and inspected especially if the bike sat. Welcome to the forum!
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

All good points. The second gear jump is likely of course. Also the aftermarket frame is a big red flag. If the distance between the red lines is not precise and the shaft splines are only making a fraction of their stock contact area combined with how much power the engine is capable of, you can have a real problem with stripped splines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5450KL.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	878307

Comment

Nikkib, perhaps a picture of the other side close up to the rear drive area.

Comment

Thanks for all replies

Comment

Uni pods (filters) are easier to tune than other options.

Consider taking a look at the universal joint.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

I run pods also. With the jetting and floats adjusted properly they run like fuel injection. Very happy with them and so easy to work on. No issues in pouring rain either. They are washable so you only buy them once. I use them on all my Japanese bikes. Don't buy the Chinese units that cover the air holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0099.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	878376

Comment

Working...
                      X