weather changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weather changing

So I put my SG away back in December in my storage unit. I figuered I would start it every weekend, and maybe I would not have to removed the carbs and battery. We had a snowstorm last weekend and lots of rain followed that to wash away all the snow. Today I went to start the bike and lots of condensation on the bike . My other bike is covered and that cover had condensation on it. Temperature is supposed to get cold again starting this week and more talk of snow. Thinking I should remove the carbs and battery and cover it.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

If you cover it, make sure you use a cover that breathes, so the condensation can dry up when it happens. I imagine you already know that though.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
      So I put my SG away back in December in my storage unit. I figuered I would start it every weekend, and maybe I would not have to removed the carbs and battery. We had a snowstorm last weekend and lots of rain followed that to wash away all the snow. Today I went to start the bike and lots of condensation on the bike . My other bike is covered and that cover had condensation on it. Temperature is supposed to get cold again starting this week and more talk of snow. Thinking I should remove the carbs and battery and cover it.
      I am assuming you don't have any electricity going to your unit and is the reason you have to remove the battery. Heat kills a battery quicker the cold but if you have no way to leave a trickle charger on it then probably best to take the battery out. I don't really see why you are removing the carbs. If you drain them properly and ensure that your petcocks are working properly then why remove them? Just leave them on and your bike should start right up again in the spring.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Oldyam, when I store a bike in less that perfect conditions I spray the entire bike with WD40 Big Blast. Spoiler alert - It's just fish oil. Protects everything including paint and washes off easily with Simple Green in the spring. I have done this many times and it works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	877080

Comment

Starting the bike without getting it up to full operating temperature is going to create water vapor inside the engine which won't evaporate the way it should causing rust and sludge on the internal parts. If you've ever torn down a car engine used for quick runs in the city you'll see exactly what happens! Put some stabilizer in the fuel and bring your battery to where you can put it on a tender, you'll be glad you did in the long run.
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

DEEBS11-I will have to try that. Cajun31- how do i drain my carbs on my 80 SG? In all my time owning this bike- (1986) never drained them as I just started it and rode it. Please dont tell me those bolts at the bottom.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Um yep. If you have 80 carbs it's the bolt on the bottom of the float bowl. Putting it back in is fun on the inner two carbs.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

It is alot easier to remove the carbs since no airbox. I just have to remove 2 fuel lines and loosen the manifold screws.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

DEEBS11-I will have to try that. Cajun31- how do i drain my carbs on my 80 SG? In all my time owning this bike- (1986) never drained them as I just started it and rode it. Please dont tell me those bolts at the bottom.
                  IMHO, for what it's worth, in your situation, I would leave the carbs on and follow LAB3's advice. Just fill the tank and add a good fuel stabilizer run the bike so the mix gets to the carbs. you really don't want the carbs to dry out. Leaving air space inside the float bowls invites moisture.
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

The ethanol gas in NJ is crap. I will fill the tank with fuel (3/4 full now) but last season I took off the carbs and cleaned them really good. I dont care how much ethanol treatment you use, gas will gum up quickly. It has happened to me on my ZRX just last year. I also have to remove the battery as I dont have power at my storage unit I can use. I can put Techtron as that is what automobile manufactures use.
                    Last edited by oldyam80sg; 01-14-2024, 10:18 AM.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I hear ya about the quality of fuel nowadays, I remember in the sixties Premium had a purple-blue color and smelled like giddy-up, these bikes wouldn't have the fuel system problems if that was still around.

I use Stabil in every tank full regardless of being stored or run daily and Happy Fuel for long term storage.

https://happyfuel.net/hf15-3-pack/
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

It is alot easier to remove the carbs since no airbox. I just have to remove 2 fuel lines and loosen the manifold screws.
                        Ethanol is the enemy for sure. If you don't have an airbox then getting to those bolts on the bottom of the bowls should be much easier. Putting stabilizer in and running them dry (until the bike stops running) only leaves a small portion of gas in the very bottom of the bowls. It can still turn into a science experiment with ethanol in it. Not everyone's situation is the same so you have to do what you have to do. Bottom line is you have to do what you are comfortable with. If it works then all is good. The one thing mentioned above is that what you really don't want to do is start the bike up and then shut it down without getting the bike up to actual riding temperature. The condensation you are creating, as was stated is not good for anything. The sludge is on thing but it will also leave moisture in your pipes that will eventually cause them to rust through it varying different spots. As finicky as these carbs are to keep tuned properly and synched is the main reason I suggest not removing them. Might not be that big a factor and if you have the proper tools available to check everything in the spring then no problem.
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        Jim

Comment

I will run fuel stabilizer and stabil in the tank next weekend and yank the battery. If I do drain the carbs via the bolt in the bottom of the float bowl-is there a metal washer there and is it available?
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Inline fuel filters
                          160 mph speedometer mod
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                            I hear ya about the quality of fuel nowadays, I remember in the sixties Premium had a purple-blue color and smelled like giddy-up, these bikes wouldn't have the fuel system problems if that was still around.

I use Stabil in every tank full regardless of being stored or run daily and Happy Fuel for long term storage.

https://happyfuel.net/hf15-3-pack/
                            I worked at a gas station back in 1983 in high school and the gas was not only cheaper, but smelled like gas.I worked at various gas stations up until 2000. Gas smelled different then back in the 70's and 80's. I drained my ZRX fuel tank last year after it sat and it was a brown color.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I will run fuel stabilizer and stabil in the tank next weekend and yank the battery. If I do drain the carbs via the bolt in the bottom of the float bowl-is there a metal washer there and is it available?
                              Yes there is a washer and yes it is available. Part number 48. It is a copper washer. Yamaha 256-14956-01-00 - WASHER | Partzilla.com

81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X