Post-fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-fairing

Hello, all. I am the proud new owner of a 1980 XS1100 that was given to me for free. It's been sitting for quite a while, but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to get it into roadworthy condition in a month or two.

I'm not a fan of Vetter fairings, so that was the first thing to go, along with the trunk and boxes. Now I'm trying to sort out the situation with the headlight and the turn signals. It appears that I shouldn't have too much trouble fitting the headlight, but I'll need to purchase front turn signals. I may just go ahead and replace all of them.

I'd love to hear suggestions about what turn signals others have used. After having done some reading on this forum, I'm getting the sense that a lot of you really prefer leaving everything stock. I'm less concerned about that, though, and just want a fully functioning bike so I can sell my Moto Guzzi in the spring.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this project a lot.
    Attached Files

That Vetter fairing if in good cobndition can fetch some good money.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

The part that will be hard to find are the turn signal stalks that mount to the lower triple tree.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Here's a couple of quick ideas

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355172003918

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285277112953
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

If you want keep up the value of that awesome blue stock bike:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26620397410...Bk9SR5b9wtiLYw

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (4)fff.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	876237 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (4)ff.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	876238

Comment

Turn signal mounts. I can find the other side if you are interested. The lights themselves are very easy to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15580210752...Bk9SR8ai6diLYw

Name:	s-l1600 (4)gg.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	876240 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (4)ggg.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	876241

Comment

Thanks all for the comments and links. I'm puzzled about something. I don't have the title in hand just yet (the guy has to find it and get it notarized), so I'm assuming that it's a 1980 from the serial number. But did the 1980 XS11 have a square or a round headlight? Mine is round.

Comment

This is your bike. XS11 "Standard" as opposed to a Special. However, it looks like a 79 perhaps titled as a 1980.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Yamaha-XS1100-Eleven-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	876251 Click image for larger version  Name:	Yamaha-XS1100-Eleven-13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	876252 Click image for larger version  Name:	Yamaha-XS1100-Eleven-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	876253

Comment

If the bike is a "Special", it had a round headlamp. The "Standard" and "Venture" had square headlamps. I may have a few parts here if you need them.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This is an 80. The seat is a little different with a few other enhancements.

Name:	Yamaha XS1100G 80  3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	876256

Comment

....And this is a round headlight Special (non-stock seat).

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.7 KB ID:	876258
                      Last edited by DEEBS11; 12-12-2023, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I can see your seat in the right top corner of your picture. It does look like an 80 seat. Your grab rail is missing. Threw me off.

Comment

An 80 Standard and a Special next to it.

Name:	ezgif-3-0e73e1e74e.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	876261

Comment

Thank you so much, everyone! @Deebs: the lower bike in your most recent photo looks to be the closest approximation of what I've got. Same exhaust, same seat, same tank, same square rear turn signals. There are no badges on my side covers, though. And while the current paint on my bike is adequate, I certainly do admire that two-tone effect on the tank. Maybe I'll do the paint once I'm confident that the bike actually runs. And as for the grab rail, it isn't there because I don't have it: I removed the trunk and side boxes. I'm now shopping for one, but don't like the prices I'm seeing right now on eBay.

Again, thank you. You're all generous to help me this way.
                            Last edited by DaleE; 12-12-2023, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Your bike is very nice and would definitely command a better price in the long run if you keep it stock. The parts that you need are available. Just saying.

Check out the schematics for your bike on Partzilla. 1980 YAMAHA XS1100G Parts | OEM MOTORCYCLE Parts | Partzilla.com
                              Last edited by cajun31; 12-12-2023, 06:13 PM.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X