Concerns about VIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns about VIN

I posted a little while ago about the XS11 I bought and how excited about it I was. When I registered it, i used the VIN on the motor. Today I found out the vin on the frame doesn't match. I assume they are supposed to, is that correct?

Now I'm scared I bought a stolen bike. 😬

I'm talking to my insurance company tomorrow, and depending on the outcome of that, the police. 🙁 Any thoughts or concerns?

Matt

Edit: I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. The bike was already registered when I bought it. It was registered under the motor VIN, which is how it's registered under my name. I paid for that VIN report and it came up clean - no accidents or other reports.
    Last edited by TheGrandEnigma; 11-27-2023, 11:41 AM.

Yes the numbers will match on an original bike that hasn't had the engine or frame replaced. The title that the previous owner had when you bought the bike and your pink slip from the notary will have the VIN that governs what is the original bike, either it will match the engine or the frame.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Here in Connecticut the DMV is only concerned about the steering neck. I have done many motor swaps in many bikes. My XS11 motor was full of water and rusted solid. It has a donor motor from another bike. I stripped most of what could be salvaged and chucked the rest in metal salvage. I don't think there is too much of a concern about having non-matching numbers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00u0u_cTgy8xfeUGR_1200x900.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	876019

Comment

Worst case sceneario is if the bike was stolen and you bought it from soneone then they will get in trouble not you. You had no idea it was stolen if it was. When I was living in PA and went to register my bikes they want you to copy the vin number on the bike. A DMV employee took paper and actually wrote the number down. I think he used carbon copy paper and shaded the numbers, but he wanted to see the actual bike in person.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Matt, as both Deebs & Schming stated, it is very common for a motorcycle to have an engine swap. Because of that the Steering Head VIN would match the original VIN paperwork and the VIN on the original Bill of Sale when the bike was new. I wouldn't worry too much about the bike being stolen. You didn't mention what State you live in as each state has different protocols for Titles and Registrations.

You didn't mention what paperwork you actually had from the previous owner? Title? Registration? Nothing but a Bill of Sale? If the bike had changed owners a few times over the years the Title & Registration 'should' match the Steering Head VIN.

Before messing with the Insurance Company I'd first go back to DMV to get the paperwork straightened out. Depending on the State, the DMV might require the old Title, the old Registration and a Bill of Sale. If you aren't getting a Title, just Registration then Registration is normally easier. Due to the age of the bikes many states no longer care about Title or will issue a Title unless you have a valid Title from the previous owner. So again, it depends on what paperwork you have, what state you are in and what you are trying to do.

Normally if you don't have an old Title the DMV or the police would go look at the steering head and verify the VIN number that way. Then they would sign a form providing that physical inspection that DMV uses to initiate the Registration document.

So not knowing the backstory on the paperwork or the process your DMV uses we can't specifically say what to do next. But I'd start by going back to DMV. Also, if you plan to ever sell the bike it would be best to use the Steering Head VIN. That's were most DMV & Police & Insurance would be looking to match the paperwork to the machine.

fwiw, i have registered a no paperwork xs11 here in Georgia. DMV just required the County Sheriff to fill out a form, document the steering head VIN and then run "Wants & Warrants" on that VIN from that National Stolen Vehicle database. Quick, Simple & Free ................
          A title wasn't required and I was easily able to get the xs11 Registered, Plates & Insured.

Good Luck & KEEP US POSTED ON WHAT HAPPENS

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 11-27-2023, 06:55 AM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

As mentioned, it really depends on which state you're in. As an example, in Michigan all you need is a title signed off by the previous owner and proof of insurance to put a bike on the road. No bill of sale, notorized copies, none of that. Earlier this year I took my XS1100 title that was issued in Missouri (where I bought the bike last year) that was signed off by the previous owner over a year earlier, not a single question was asked, no inspection or any other paperwork required.

I've NEVER had a police officer check to see if my frame and engine numbers matched in over 40 years of riding. Here's my advice to you: Go to your DMV or equivalent and play dumb! Don't ask any questions and don't mention any concerns or issues you might have. As far as you know everything is legit.
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Hey, do sorry for not giving the full information. I'm actually from Saskatchewan, Canada. Here, our insurance and registration come from the same organization (Sask. Government Insurance, SGI). The bike was already registered when I bought it, and the vin is registered under its the motor VIN, which is why I'm concerned. If it was the frame VIN, I wouldn't have cared.

I paid for a full VIN search, which came up clear so I bought the bike. Now I'm going to do a search on the VIN on the steering head and see what comes up.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know what happens. I'm sure everything is fine, I'm just panicking. I haven't bought a bike in a while.

Matt

Comment

I spoke to my insurance, which directed me to the police, which directed me to the CPIC website where I can search for police reports, and the second VIN does not show any matches to police reports - so I'm in the clear. The only thing left to do is reregister the motorcycle under both VINs so there's a record of it. Disaster adverted. 🙂👍

Matt

Comment

I didn't register my 80 SG for 2 years as it was not running and didnt return the license plates. When I finally did register it, NJ made me payt for 2 years worth of registration fees. They said as long as you keep the plates, you have to pay unless a mechanic can certify that it was indeed not running or on military deployment.
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

That seems pretty brutal. Here, you just register it. You get in some fairly expensive trouble if you ride it unregistered (especially if you are in an accident) , but you don't need to pay for unused time.

Comment

NJ does but then again we dont have to have our bikes inspected. Just pay the registration.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                      X