Luggage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage.

My girlfriend are planning a trip this fall on the '79 XS1100 which is pretty much all stock with the exception of a goldwing luggage rack I've mounted. My question is simple can anyone recomend the best way to pack things? Saddle bags? Tank bags? Our current solution is to pack everything in a hockey bag and bungie it down. Looking for something a bit more... elegant. Any suggestions?
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Well, depends on a couple things:

length of trip
    trip conditions
    budget
    Traveling habits

Longer trip = more room for...ahem...undergarments(?) You can get by with a few pairs of jeans and tops.

Trip conditions = change in elevation and temperature zones. Greater range, will need to take both lighter and heavier clothing.

Budget. Get waterproof containers. Will cost you a few bucks, but having to deal with wet clothes is worse than spending the money.

Traveling habits. Eating out saves space. So do Motel rooms.

I prefer to pack low, which means saddlebags. Tank bags are useful for smaller, need to get items, but remember you have to remove (or move) them every time you fill up with gas. You don't want to overpack the bag.

Use a bungie 'net', and even then you will be surprised at how items sink to their own level. On a luggage rack, adjustable straps work well.

Separate smaller bags (including Zip-lock) will keep your shampoo from leaking all over your shirts. Take a garbage bag as well.

Lots of options, from trunks that mount to your luggage rack, tank bags in various sizes, leather and fabric saddlebags in different styles and shapes. Start with a Dennis Kirk street bike catalog, then hit some of the biker sites.

Nothing wrong with the hockey bag, or other large carry-all bag, just pack your stuff in smaller waterproof bags before putting them in the large bag. Cheap and effective!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I really can't think of anything to add to what's been posted. My wife made a set of custom throw-over saddle bags that held our sleeping bags and mattress pads. Tent was a separate bag, Cooking gear and non-perishable food was a separate bag, as was a clothing bag (all duffle type). Tank bags held toiletries and camera gear, even had room for two small ice chests. By now you've surmised I'm talking about two bikes. So, get your girlfriend a bike and have all the room you need.

Have a good trip

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I think we'll stick with the hockey bag for now, and I'll keep my eyes open for a hardcase to mount on the rack. We tend to pack light and 90% of the time stay in motels anyway.

I am looking for a bike for her as well, but she needs something small, found a nice 1968 BSA 250 Starfire I think she'll like (Okay I used to own one when I was 16 and want her to buy it).

Comment

Don't have her buy your nostalgia machine. Believe me, her bike has to be a bike that she wants to ride or she won't ride it.

Comment

I just got back from a 2 and a half-week trip, and have to agree with most of the recommendations.

If you’re on a budget, and have a backrest, I found a piece of luggage made by Cal Pak (not motorcycle luggage) at a luggage store for less than $30. Its one of those packs that doubles as a backpack, but the key is it has the pull out handle and wheels. the model I found was one that the pocket where the wheels and handle go into the luggage and the bottom of this pocket is open and it fit snuggly over my backrest. The good parts are that is was easy to put on and take off, it will hold your stuff and room left over for some of your wife’s stuff. The bad part is that is puts the weight higher. The only time this really affected my ride was when I was in Wyoming. I had some 50 or 60 mile/hr cross winds, and the pack just added to the sail area on my bike. Needless to say. I thought I was going to wear out my right side of my tires. Despite this I still think I would prefer the pack to my saddlebags.

Since I live in the desert, I am always concern about water. A neat trick that I've been seeing more and more people using is a bicycle water bottle holder attached to your handlebars. Normally it can be attached by just using electrical tie downs.

If your going from hot to cold areas, remember to take things you can layer. In this way you can add or reduce the thickness of what you’re wearing to adjust to the temperature.

Lessons learned.
            The big one was using my great big oversized sleeping bag as a backrest. I was riding solo and had it bungeed to the actual back rest sitting on the pasenger seat. It seemed like a great idea when I started, it seem to be supporting my lower back just great and it was the most comfortable I ever had been on my bike. Well over time, without me realizing it, the bag started to form an arch and so did my back (while I was riding). During the trip this surfaced as a pain in my shoulder. It wasn't until the last couple of days of the trip until I figured this out, and most of the pain went away there after.

Don't over pack, half the stuff I took on this trip, I never used. The key for me is some clean underwear, clean socks, a couple pairs of pants, and several t-shirts to wear. Of course you can always take fewer t-shirts, and use it as an excuse to buy some t-shirts while on your trip (so you don’t have to do laundry).

talk to ya later,
            mark
            http://C:\Documents and Settings\mar...LongBeach_Bike

Comment

If you're going to do the "tie the duffel bags to the bike" routine then check out REI or Campmor (can you guess the URL? Betcha you can) and look for dry bags - canoeing and kayaking section. You can seal them completely and your stuff stays completely dry.

HOWEVER, don't tie them down with bungee cords. Use nylon straps which won't allow them to shift and possibly contact the tire, exhaust, etc and wear/burn a hole in them (which ends it's watertite career). DAHIK.

Comment

JP. The dry bags are a goog idea, the only advantage of the bag I use is there is no need to tie it down and cost. The pocket slips right over the back rest and it does move when your riding. The only direction it can move is straight up, which with everything I had in it, was not a problem.

I went through one major down pour with it, and everything stayed dry. But the down pour only lasted 30 minutes, and I was riding, so the pack actually saw little or no rain.

Besides I live in the Phoenix AZ area, most people around here don't even know what a cloud looks like, much less rain .

Thanks for the reply,
                mark

Comment

JP: Sorry out of habit I said bungie but in fact I am using material straps. Good tip to not let someone use bungie.

Ohazca: Thanks for the tips will have a look at the mall tomorrow on the first of my 11 day vacation! (First one since '99!)

Comment

Then enjoy yourself, and enjoy your trip.
                    mark

Comment

Working...
                    X