Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems

So, just the other day, I got all dressed up in preparation for a nice ride through Canadian Shield country in the fall colours. Good riding days are quickly fading away up here. Been starting pretty good without the enrichener lately and she sputtered to life on the first try but wouldn't stay running. Second try - nada. No click / no current draw. (many,many bad words ). Stripped off my riding gear and got to work - my plans for the day just changed. I'd had problems with the starter button before (had to carry a roofing nail in my pocket to short out the button contacts) so I started (no pun intended) there. Getting continuity - one down. Shorted out the solenoid and got starter activity - two down. There's been a load of discussion about dirty and/or corroded connector contacts - couldn't happen to me! She's been stored under cover most of her life! News flash - it's dirty out there on the roads! Oh, and this thing called "rain". Next traced the blue/white wire back from the button to the solenoid and found continuity up to the 2-lead multi-connector but not past. Bingo! Stripped the connector halves completely apart, cleaned the contacts, re-assembled with a little dielectric grease and problem solved. At least this didn't happen at a remote gas stop as, without any kickstarter (80G), she's a pig to push start - even warm (voice of experience).
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

I'm seeing a trend here... It's almost like old bikes need care and attention to stay at their peak. I can't neglect my bike if I want it to be reliable. 😋

Note to self: check ALL connections on bike. 🤣

Comment

At least this didn't happen at a remote gas stop as, without any kickstarter
      Well, you could always jump the two large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver to get her to crank.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Working...
      X