White wire voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White wire voltage?

If I put my voltmeter to one of the whites coming off of the XJ alternator while running, what should I see?
    "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Meter needs to be on AC, you should see somewhere around 15 VAC between any 2 white wires.

Let us know what you have.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-26-2023, 10:47 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have 4.5 AC volts.between the white to the tach and the white going to the computer monitor
      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Ok, what seems to be the problem with the bike, not charging properly?

May want to check the voltage at the triple white wire connector at the voltage regulator. The XJ alternator is a brush style where the brushes can wear out.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 09-30-2023, 10:06 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Found it. In my search for issues my cheap Wal Mart battery was causing, I had disconnected the whites connector and reconnected it with one of the male blades doubling up on another. Too many times I am my own worst enemy, and I need better connectors.

Comment

You hate when that sort of thing happens! Then again if it doesn't cause any other damage it's a cheap learning experience.
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

With all due respect, how on earth were you able to plug that connector together like that and not notice something was wrong?
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Cheap aftermarket connectors. The blades are wobbly in there and didn't put up a fight.

Comment

Yep, I see. Another case of inferior made in China copy crap.

I bought the good ones before from Tony at Oregon Vintage MC parts, maybe he still has them.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Working...
                  X