was ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was ok

So went for a ride 2 weeks ago and the bike has been running real good since I took it out of storage in April . They reopened a bridge by my Moms house 2 weeks ago and had no issues. Today, I started the bike and went for a ride. Not even 5 minutes later,my right hip started to cramp up so I rode to a parking lot to stretch. The bike started to shudder. I stopped the bike and fuel was coming from the carbs-#3 to be exact.I shut off the fuel,waited 5 minutes and rode the bike home. Pulled down the driveway and when I turned the right petcock on fuel cmae out the air jet I believe. I shut off the fuel and sprayed carb cleaner in to the air jet. I also tapped on the float bowl and when I turned the fuel back on all was good. Maybe dirt on float needle? any suggestions?
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Certainly sounds like a stuck float to me... Your signature says fuel filter are inline so unlikely to be dirt? Probably all good for now.

However, pending how long it was stuck, might want to smell the oil to make sure gas hadn't made it's way into the crankcase as is typical with stuck floats. Smelly gas obviously means change the oil & filter before next ride..

Personally haven't had a stuck float issue in a long while. When I was using K&L Needles & seats it was a regular event. Then I switched to using only genuine Mikuni needles & seats and the problem disappeared.

However, I have created the problem once or twice since by forgetting to turn the gas on. Then when I did, the bowls were empty and the gas came rushing in and stuck the floats in the down position.
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

If your float is sticking, probably due to limited use, carry something with you so you can whack the bowl(s) if needed.

In your case of not riding the bike much, I would be using a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-bil 360 marine or Startron.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 08-21-2023, 06:44 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I suggest removing carb bank, remove float bowls and have a look-see if the bowl gaskets are protruding inward.. If any look marginal when in place, leave them in place and with an x-acto razer blade shave them off using inside of bowl as a guide. This has ben a common issue over the years.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

A carb cleaning is needed. Todays fuel is complete crap. Very hydroscopic. Lots of water. When it sits it causes corrosion and clogs. Sometimes not visible to the naked eye. Since it does run it's not too serious. Remove the bowls, floats, & pilot screws and spray through all the orifices with spray carb cleaner like Gumout. Put it all back together and you should be good to go. You have plastic floats (if its 80 carbs) so it's not a breech in the brass float taking on fuel.

Comment

OK, now I'm going to suggest something that is not what I would normally recommend but it has worked for me when I don't have time to remove a set of carbs. Remove the tank so just your fuel lines are exposed. Remove the drain screws at the bottom of each carb to drain out the gas. Replace the screws. Install a small funnel on the fuel line and pour in Sea Foam full strength. Do both sides and turn the engine over just a few revolutions to suck the fluid into the small orifices of the carbs (Do not use the choke as it will bypass where you want the fluid to go). After that is done use the funnel again to "top off" each carb with Sea Foam. Let sit for a day at least. Then remove the carb plugs again. If you can, capture the contents of each bowl to inspect. Replace the screws and install the tank and run it. This sometimes works depending on the severity of the carb issue.

Comment

Since I'm currently not working will ride the bike today. The carbs are spotlesss. Fresh fuel is put in the bike.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I run StaBil in my fuel all the time now. I can't ride like I used to, due to the weather in Idaho. I've not had any problems the last two years, just fire up and ride when I can. Oh, I also put ETHANOL FREE fuel in it! I'm able to buy it here as they sell it for old cars and small engines. It cost the same as premium, but it's worth it!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I can't find ethanol free fuel in N.J. and wont drive 3 + hours to find it. I started the bike up today and ran it for a while with no issues. Deceiding if I want to go back to a dead end job, If not will ride more than I do.I also put Stabil and Lucas ethanol treatment regularly.
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

You probably know this, but it's important to run the bike for a while after adding the fuel treatment so it gets in the carbs good.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yesterday I started the bike and really didnt let it warm up before I pushed the choke off. Then I took off. I should have let it warm up some.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                      X