Lighting kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting kill

I am planning on adding a lighting kill to my 1980 xs1100. I currently have power into the 4 fuses with the key on and on the output side I have the one wire to the tail light another for the headlight, the other for the signals and last for the ignition. I bout a latching push button switch. What I am wondering is if I can solder the headlight and taillight wires that come out of the fuse block into one so that there is one going into the switch I bought. And then it will split off after the output of the switch. I switched everything to led so should it be fine with the extra load on the one wires in and out of the switch for both sets of lights?
    Last edited by Patrick1980; 08-07-2023, 11:09 AM.

You have the wrong switch for doing that. You need a double pole, double throw switch. It allows you to switch two circuits at once WITHOUT connecting them. They are available, you just need to look for one.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I meant to note that I got a different ignition switch with only on and off so the blue wire for the park lights is pretty much useless except for giving power to the tail light. So I temporarily picky backed another brown wire from the ignition switch into the tail light fuse. So would the 1 pole switch be okay in this instance or is there going to be too much pull on those wires because it was my understanding that LED lights draw significantly less power than the stock incandescent lights that it came with. Maybe I’m missing something because I am new to wiring but let me know.

Comment

Looking at the wire diagram, you do NOT need to connect the blue wire to anything. Just switch the headlights and the tail lights should come on.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

It does look like the blue wire is power to the tail light and the yellow wire is what makes the brake light go on. But I don’t think there is a problem with combining the blue wire and the R/Y because I believe the only purpose of the blue wire was to have the park light function with the fork lock on the stock ignition switch. So the only change I would be making is adding tail light into the headlight power circuit. I don’t think this should be a problem especially because I took out the RLU which simplifies things.

Comment

You are correct. I was looking at the wrong wiring diagram. You should be OK with the wires both connected. Make SURE that the switch you have will handle at least 25A.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
            X