It wasn't the starter switch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't the starter switch!

For months I had been battling what I thought was bad contact in my starter switch. My bike was sometimes hesitant to turn over, I would wiggle the starter button as I was pressing it thinking I was facilitating contact. Most times it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. I would take apart the switch, clean the contacts, I even changed out the spring for a stronger one thinking it would push the contacts together harder. Today it wouldn't start, so I took it apart again and found nothing wrong, so I started looking at other possibilities. Then I remembered back in the day using a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid on my '64 Impala to get it going. Lo and behold, it works on a Yamaha too. The intermittent nature of the problem made it hard to diagnose. Luckily, I have a parts bike, so I got the solenoid off of it and installed it. Works great now, no delay in the starter turning over anymore.
    "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Mines been doing the same thing and yes, it is the starter relay. Nice thing about those is that they're pretty generic in function so when mine goes I'll grab one for a larger sized garden tractor, drilling some mounting holes or cobbling a bracket should do the trick!
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I like the "Rick's" unit I installed recently. No modifications needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0804.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	874769 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0803.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	874770

Comment

Working...
      X