Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind hole rebuild

Hi,
    I have two bolt holes on my right crankcase which have been broken out some time in the past. Luckily the exposed threads still hold the bolt in the broken part. As a hail Mary I was thinking about doing some kind of initial build up with Loctite thread repair and then covering the entire area with JBWeld. Then grind it down to look almost not like a cheap repair job.

Does anyone know of a better way? I have another crankcase but I’m not tearing the engines apart for this!

thanks in advance.

sounds what I would do,,,,clean it, thoroughly, smear lube on the bolt so if you ever want to pull it out it will loosen,,,,JB WELD the area and you should be good to go.....keep us informed, Mike in San diego and Pa.

Comment

That could possibly be Tig welded by a talented welder.

Comment

That could possibly be Tig welded by a talented welder.
        Yeah, but I'm in Idaho! I DID fix an XS engine mount with my TIG, so yes, it can be done. Smear a thin layer of grease on the bolt and JB Weld is probably the easiest way to fix it, though.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for your come backs. This bike is no prize so I’ll give the JB Weld a hook. The challenge for me will be blending the repair job in the with the rest of the case. As the old guy once said, the only thing worse than something that looks broken is something that looks fixed!

Comment

Working...
          X