1984 Maxim 1100 Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Maxim 1100 Purchase

Never thought I'd do it, but I'll be picking up an '84 Maxim 1100 on Friday, here in Detroit for $800. Seems to be in good shape. Will need to be thoroughly gone through.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    Never thought I'd do it, but I'll be picking up an '84 Maxim 1100 on Friday, here in Detroit for $800. Seems to be in good shape. Will need to be thoroughly gone through.
    My dream parts bike! From everything I've read the commutator, pickup plate and CDI from that bike will bolt right into the XS thereby eliminating the broken wire issue for good.
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Hmmm.......a 1984 Maxim 1100 would be a very rare bike indeed.

Can't wait to see the pictures Ian!
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

My dream parts bike! From everything I've read the commutator, pickup plate and CDI from that bike will bolt right into the XS thereby eliminating the broken wire issue for good.
        The wiring from the TCI isn't the same, it would need reconfiguring, not impossible though.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

great bike, I think they made them in canada through 1984, usa only 1982,,,,I had one for thirty years and lots of great miles on it. Its quicker than the xs down low, sits a bit lower, has the coolest factory fairing, a one off if you can find it, cruises at 70 alll day long, once the carbs are right it will purr forever. Have fun with it....Mike in San DIego and Pa.

Comment

Hi guys- Here is a pic of the bike. I know a lot of you guys are not on FB, but CL is not used by most, anymore.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

6,500 Miles on it. I joined the XJ4Ever forum. Sounds like a lot more to pay attention to, versus the XS. One day I'll pull the '79SF out and rebuild that as well. But, this bike will be my next project.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

The wiring from the TCI isn't the same, it would need reconfiguring, not impossible though.
                Thanks for the heads up! One thread I saw said basically "plug and play"
                1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I love the fairing with the vents. I know it says "Aero" but is it a Pacifico?

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                    I love the fairing with the vents. I know it says "Aero" but is it a Pacifico?
                    Not sure. Picking it up on Sat or Sun.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

UNREAL SHAPE, bike looks near new, congrats and at that price a steal......dont tell the seller. The carbs have the YICS for better performance, the only way to properly balance it is to get YICS plug and insert it through the side of the carbs....I have synched it with the plug and without it and it was basically the same. Years back somebody on the site sold a plug and it was used for tuning and most just left it in the carb and noticed no difference in performance. The bike is quick, just doesnt have the upper range of the xs,,,smaller rear tire affects high speed rpm's, higher than xs,,,but it scoooots better...anyway NICE bike,,,,Mike in San DIego and Pa.

Comment

Yeah, the only reason I'm buying it is because everything else I own is too top-heavy for a passenger, and my girlfriend has no backrest on my XS11.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Update: I actually talked the owner into keeping the bike, which I'm okay with. Maybe it's time to bring the '79SF out of storage.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Update #2: I guess I got the bug. I contacted the Maxim owner, and he cannot get the carbs right. Nothing my ultrasonic cleaner cannot handle, hehe. I'll buy it in a few weeks.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Then you will have a couple of projects to be enthused about.
                              -Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                              X