Drive shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shaft removal

I am about to have the frame powder coated and have already stripped the frame down but I’m now taking about the swing arm. I took the final drive out and the two swing arm bearings. The last things are the swing arm bearing races and the actual drive shaft. My question is how do you take the drive shaft out of the sawing arm. It has the u joint on one side a gear on the other side but not sure where is slides out and how. Also I assume once that is out you can use a long punch to get the races out?

Hi Patrick. I have a swing arm already black powder coated that was never installed on the bike after it was coated. and some other powder coated parts also that I have listed on eBay because I'm never going to use them. If interested, PM me here and we can work out a better deal.

Yamaha XS1100 Swing Arm, Rear Arm, Beautifully Black Powder Coated. | eBay
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

The drive shaft will simply slide out, but IIRC there is a circular retainer clip that makes it held on into a detent. If you can't get it out, you can get at the upstream end by pushing back the big rubber boot. then you can pry on the U-joint it to make it pop out.

Yes, the swing arm races can be pounded out with a drift. I usually reuse the bearings in the swingarm because they don't really seem to wear out. Some folks find them notchy, and decide to replace them.

-Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
      X