What is the oil seperator!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the oil seperator!?

HI, first I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. I seem to be unable to create a new topic in the more specific areas.

I have a 'new-to-me' xs1100sg. It's having some issues with idling poorly and backfiring while riding. The carbs were rebuilt by the previous owner and so before I decided clean up a few other things first.

I tore apart the airbox and tried to clean it up a bit and put it back together. While doing so I came across this part (pictured below) which apparently is labeled as an 'oil separator' in a parts diagram. Now I have a pretty good mind for problem-solving but for the life of me I cannot figure out how this thing works. During the process I actually busted it up pretty good. Thankfully, the previous owner sold me bike with salvage from another and so I had an extra oil separator which I was able to used.

Is someone able to explain what this part does and how it works? There appears to be no information about it anywhere as far as I could tell.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

The single port receives blow by gases from the crankcase. The other 4 ports and curved tubes head into the intake venturi. It is designed to eliminate crankcase fumes from entering the atmosphere.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Ahh, ok. I will have to look closer but I don’t think I had a hose running from the crankcase to the port. Would that affect performance at all?

Comment

Not really, but the port on the top rear of the crankcase should not be plugged, it needs to breathe whether to a filter or to the stock location.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathacvb View Post
          Ahh, ok. I will have to look closer but I don’t think I had a hose running from the crankcase to the port. Would that affect performance at all?
          it comes from the head, over the carbs to the airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

it comes from the head, over the carbs to the airbox.
            Not on an XS11

Comment

Thanks for the input, I believe I found the hose. I will send a picture later today.

But this begs a question regarding blow-by… my previous experiences let me to believe that blow-by in the crank case is always a bad thing usually caused by a bad seal in the piston. But based on this conversation perhaps that is not the case.. what am I missing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post

Not on an XS11
                DOH brain fart !!!! just been working on my GSX1100 and that does come from the head. must of had that picture in my head but yeah it comes from the top of the crankcase on the XS

Comment

Originally posted by jonathacvb View Post
                  Thanks for the input, I believe I found the hose. I will send a picture later today.

But this begs a question regarding blow-by… my previous experiences let me to believe that blow-by in the crank case is always a bad thing usually caused by a bad seal in the piston. But based on this conversation perhaps that is not the case.. what am I missing here?
                  the idea is, any vented gasses from the crankcase gets sucked into the combustion chamber and burned instead of out to the atmosphere.

Comment

I took that "plumbing" out of the airbox. Do you really think that crankcase mist will keep the finicky carburetors clean? In fact, I took the vent hose off of the airbox, plugged the airbox and reduced the fat hose from the crankcase to install a crank breather filter. I guess I am an EPA offender, but a poorly running bike does the emissions no good either.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Thanks for input guys! I chose to keep mine in because, as a novice, I wasn't clear on the consequences of taking it out. I appreciate the comments.. learning as I go here

Comment

Working...
                      X