how long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long

So earlier post by me had fuel leaking out of #3 carb even after rapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle. Will change the float needle as I bought 4 new ones. My question is how long does it take for the bike to stop running with fuel shut off? I shut off both petcocks but the bike kept running. Has anyone ever timed it? When fuel was leaking out of #3 carb, I shut off the right petcock. I didn't shut off the fuel on the left side.I rode it around my storage unit and am wondering how long can you possibly ride before it shuts off. Will the bike not getting fuel to # 3 and #4 carb be ok to run? the bike ran very smooth. My thinking (i know bad) is that fuel will basically starve at speed. Is that correct?
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

I've gone two blocks with the fuel off! That was after a choke start, so probably three blocks or four to five minutes on the stand.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Wow that long? can you ride with only 2 carbs running ? Seems to me that with the right side petcock off I thought the bike would stumble after a while? I could see the fuel in the line for carbs 3 and 4. In an emergency can this be doable? Not that I would do it as I dont want to suddenly stop and have someone hit me. I do know riding with the bike getting hot and a fuel leak will result in fire or maybe worse.
      Last edited by oldyam80sg; 05-06-2023, 07:38 PM. Reason: edit
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Mine generally run for at least 4 minutes after I turn the petcocks off. Even after the stutter and die I can still crank them right back on for a short burst. The fuel bowls hold a good bit of fuel and at idle the bike is not really burning the fuel that fast. I have 3 MNS's and I have to go out on occasion and start all three to make sure the carbs don't gunk up on me. Of course I only store the bike with non ethanol in the tank and I always run them dry before long storage. Unfortunately they can still get in bad condition if left too long unless you completely drain them. I do that in winter storage but not during the riding season.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

My 80 SG carbs have the bolt and washer at the bottom.By saying you drain them, do you remove the bolt and washer?
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
          X