Headlight chrome brackets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight chrome brackets.

I just took the front end down on my 79 F to change fork seals, grease head bearings,etc. While taking headlight off I removed the chrome brackets that hold it while the fork tubes go through them.
    Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures so I hope I'm explaining the situation rather clearly.
    There were 2 chrome bases at the bottom part of the brackets with an o ring type gasket and it all sits on lower part of triple tree. Question I have is, are there supposed to be 2 more of those with
    washers on the top of the chrome brackets where they touch the bottom of the triple tree.? I can't find a picture or drawing that shows those clearly.
    So, is 2 the correct number of those and do they go in the bottom or top? Or are there supposed to be 4 of them?
    Thanks.
    79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

The parts fische doesn't show any on top or the bottom. A quick glace at my 1980 1100G tells me that they're only on the bottom, hope that helps.
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The E&F only have those on the bottom. The rubber is to "quiet" any rattles from the ears, as they are not tight by design. As you put the forks back together, remember to work from the bottom up on the bolts, Axle bolt, pinch bolts, bottom tree, top tree.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you both for the reply. I also couldn't find any info on them and I was afraid the top ones were missing.
        Figured some other member with an F could do a quick check.
        Thanks Ray for the heads up on the tightening of bolts.
        79 XS1100F.
        TC's fuse box.
        SOFA filter.
        Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
          I just took the front end down on my 79 F to change fork seals, grease head bearings,etc. While taking headlight off I removed the chrome brackets that hold it while the fork tubes go through them.
          Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures so I hope I'm explaining the situation rather clearly.
          There were 2 chrome bases at the bottom part of the brackets with an o ring type gasket and it all sits on lower part of triple tree. Question I have is, are there supposed to be 2 more of those with
          washers on the top of the chrome brackets where they touch the bottom of the triple tree.? I can't find a picture or drawing that shows those clearly.
          So, is 2 the correct number of those and do they go in the bottom or top? Or are there supposed to be 4 of them?
          Thanks.

I have never owned a standard so take what I say with a grain of salt. This is from the partzilla parts page for your bike. Part numbers 15 and 16 are the lower and upper guide covers respectively I would suspect that the upper guide cover may be stuck in the lower side of the upper triple tree. There is only one rubber gasket for the bottom. Here is the link to the diagram and parts listings. Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 OEM Parts Diagram for FRONT FORK | Partzilla.com

2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Thanks for your effort Cajun. The diagram is sort of deceptive, at least confusing. #13 is the dust seal which should be shown over #4, the oil seal. Both should be illustrated under the triple tree.
            Other members with F models have mentioned their bikes only have the bottom chrome bases with rubber gasket, nothing on top of the chrome bracket.
            Thanks again.
            79 XS1100F.
            TC's fuse box.
            SOFA filter.
            Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Went out and took a photo of my '78. There ARE top and bottom rings, as well as the seal on the bottom. Here are two photos.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	78HLampear1r.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	873477 Click image for larger version

Name:	78HLampear2r.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	873478
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

the special also has the chrome rings on top as well, my guess is they get lost when the front end is stripped out !!!!!

Comment

Thanks Ray for the picture clarifying this mystery !!! I definitely have the bottom 2 with seals, although brittle and broken. There was none on top. It seems those are more of a cover over bracket for aesthetics as it shows no seals.
                  You're probably right Tony. Either the PO or myself lost them.
                  Thanks to all.
                  79 XS1100F.
                  TC's fuse box.
                  SOFA filter.
                  Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Working...
                  X