No announcement yet.

XS1100E Cam Chain Installation Tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100E Cam Chain Installation Tricks?

A retired MC mechanic friend performed some ring and head work on my 1100 and has the cylinders and head back in place. He understands the timing marks and how they're used to get everything in time, etc. He has an original service manual for the bike I lent him. What has him a little mystified is how to get the lower sprocket to line up with the cam sprockets. Apparently the lower sprocket can float back and forth on the crank but doesn't just fall into alignment. He has it in approximately the correct location on the crank, but is about 1/16" off to the right which makes it difficult to get the chain on all three sprockets and have them in line.

Also, when rotating crank to "C" position for tensioner adjuster installation, chain wants to slip over crank sprocket.

What are the tricks to get the lower sprocket in the right place and to get the chain wrapped around all three sprockets in time? The service manual seems to be a little vague. I attached a couple of picks showing where he is at. Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Glen
    78 XS1100E touring
    78 XS1100E stock
    80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    83 XV920MK Midnight Special
    83 XJ750MK Midnight Special
    83 XZ550RK Vision (full fairing, blk/gold)
    83 RX50 Special
    97 FLHR

Apparently the lower sprocket can float back and forth on the crank but doesn't just fall into alignment
    Then the chain is off to the side of the lower sprocket. The bike must be on the center stand and not the side stand, otherwise the chain will slip off to the left. The lower sprocket is fixed to the crankshaft and has no play whatsoever. Look down the tunnel with a flashlight and verify the chain is on the sprocket. Looking at photo #2, the chain isn't completely on the lower sprocket.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-23-2023, 04:00 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

the lower sprocket can't float as its fixed solid to the crank. its a case of hooking the chain round the crank sprocket and keeping it pulled tight till you get the cam sprockets in place.

beat me to it Phil.

Comment

You can push the chain guide in thru the tensioner hole with your finger when rotating the engine to the C mark. That way, the chain shouldn't slip off the lower sprocket.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

All work has been performed with the bike upright on a lift. On this XS1100E the crank sprocket is not machined with the crank as with some other bikes. It sits on the shaft and rotation occurs due to a key and keyway, however it can move left to right. Hence our issue. We're wondering what trick is used to locate the crank sprocket in the correct location. Maybe the finger through the tensioner hole is the answer, but first we need to get the sprocket in the correct location. Thanks!
          78 XS1100E touring
          78 XS1100E stock
          83 RX50 Special
          97 FLHR

Comment

every xs1100 crank ive seen has the sprocket cast into the shaft and theirs no way it can move in any direction !!!!! have you a pic of your crank ?

Comment

Yep, I've never seen or heard of a keyed crankshaft sprocket either. In picture #2, the crank sprocket position appears to be centered, except the chain looks like it's half way off. Hard to tell. Try lining it all up again and do what I suggested when rotating the engine.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

agree with phil, the chain is not sat on the sprocket on one side.

Comment

We agree, the chain is off the crank sprocket. Looking for whatever tricks folks use to correctly position the crank sprocket, especially when rotating crank to "C" position for tensioner adjuster installation. Thanks guys!
                  78 XS1100E touring
                  78 XS1100E stock
                  83 RX50 Special
                  97 FLHR

Comment

1. Bike on center stand. If no center stand, then strapped onto a lift so it is not leaning left or right.
                    2. line the "C" mark up on the crank, IF you are just a little out! I'm talking about 10 degrees on the crank.
                    3. If #2 is a go, use a stiff wire or long flat blade screw driver to coax the chain back on the crank. If you cannot do this, then pull BOTH cams out of the bike, and use the slack in the chain to drop it down, center it, then pull up on the crank.
                    4. once seated, verify cams are still less than a tooth off the marks. If you had to putt the cams, replace one at a time and line up pointers before snugging down the cam bearing caps.
                    5. Verify pointers are good, then push in on the front to install tensioner. It's usually easier to install the intake first, line it up, then do exhast as it is the one that will move when the tensioner is installed.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you, exactly what my friend was looking for. BTW, the guys above are correct. The crank sprocket is part of the crank. I remembered I had pix from the rebuild that a shop did, and yup, there it is, one piece. Sorry for the mislead but that happens when you don't do the work yourself. Cheers
                      78 XS1100E touring
                      78 XS1100E stock
                      83 RX50 Special
                      97 FLHR

Comment

Working...
                      X