Cafe Racer Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe Racer Build

I have a 1980 xs1100 special that I am turning into a cafe racer-style build. I know a lot of people will not like that I am doing this but I am still going to seek help on here. I am in the process of figuring out the electronics and I am going to switch to a lithium battery, ill also get Rick's Reg Rec for lithium batteries. I am going to relocate all of the electronics in a box under the seat that shouldn't be too noticeable. Right, not I am trying to figure out how I'm going to fit the Ignition Unit, Battery, fuse box, and starter solenoid all in a box at the top of the triangle. Maybe the solution is to put the Ignition Unit somewhere else and still hidden because it is a big piece. If anyone has ever done this I would really appreciate some advice. XS11s are not very common for cafe builds so I know there isn't too much information out there but that's what makes it a good challenge.

You can move the ICU(ignition) box with longer wires. I would plan on a re-wire of the bike so you don't have any splices to fail. The Special has some poor front brakes, so do read the thread about swapping forks that is just below this one. Other than that, post pics and try to brace everything for handling.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick1980 View Post
      I have a 1980 xs1100 special that I am turning into a cafe racer-style build. I know a lot of people will not like that I am doing this but I am still going to seek help on here. I am in the process of figuring out the electronics and I am going to switch to a lithium battery, ill also get Rick's Reg Rec for lithium batteries. I am going to relocate all of the electronics in a box under the seat that shouldn't be too noticeable. Right, not I am trying to figure out how I'm going to fit the Ignition Unit, Battery, fuse box, and starter solenoid all in a box at the top of the triangle. Maybe the solution is to put the Ignition Unit somewhere else and still hidden because it is a big piece. If anyone has ever done this I would really appreciate some advice. XS11s are not very common for cafe builds so I know there isn't too much information out there but that's what makes it a good challenge.
      You might want to watch Andy's Motorcycle Obsession Basket Case series. He did what you are trying to do. 'Basket Case' - The Box Set - YouTube
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Yea there are a few examples out there of xs11 cafes, the difference between mine and Andy’s is he made a large hump in the back to hide all this stuff and I did not want to add that so that created a challenge. But I have been studying those videos. There’s one callled il corvino by Licari Co that I’m taking inspiration from.
        Last edited by Patrick1980; 04-17-2023, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X