standard fork legs on special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standard fork legs on special

im after changing my leading axle forks for a standard set, ALL i want to know is how the standard legs in the special yokes effects the handling ? has anyone done it ? yes I know all about the rake and trail so don't need a lesson in all that just want to know how the bike handles with them.

The bike will probably turn quicker, but not be as stable at higher speeds. This is a guess, as I've NOT done the swap. Please do a search to see who has posted in the past. IIRC, there was a post about ten years ago using the swap for a sidecar set-up.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      The bike will probably turn quicker, but not be as stable at higher speeds. This is a guess, as I've NOT done the swap. Please do a search to see who has posted in the past. IIRC, there was a post about ten years ago using the swap for a sidecar set-up.
      yeah thats my thoughts as well, but don't want it to be dangerous at speed !!! im not keen on the leading axle forks and don't like the way they flop when turning ive done plenty of searching but not come up with anyone who has done it with results.

Comment

I did just the opposite, Special forks on a Standard, still using the Standard's triple trees. It was not stable at all at highway speeds, I wouldn't try it again. In your case Tony, it would shorten the wheel base. My FJ fork mod shortens the wheel base by a few inches and the handling is superb at all speeds, slightly faster steering but very stable. Try not to hit rocks in the road though, that upsets the steering similar to a mini tank slapper sometimes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HPIM0637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	873242
        ​​​​​​Standard with Special forks ^

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190707_185440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	873243 ​​​​​​

​​​​Standard with FJ forks and FJ triples ^

Tony, are you doing this mod to improve the calipers?

The Special's brakes can be greatly improved rather easily with SS lines and a Brembo 16mm master cylinder.

​​​​​​

Last edited by bikerphil; 04-16-2023, 07:01 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I did just the opposite, Special forks on a Standard, still using the Standard's triple trees. It was not stable at all at highway speeds, I wouldn't try it again. In your case Tony, it would shorten the wheel base. My FJ fork mod shortens the wheel base by a few inches and the handling is superb at all speeds, slightly faster steering but very stable. Try not to hit rocks in the road though, that upsets the steering similar to a mini tank slapper sometimes.

Click image for larger version Name:	HPIM0637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	873242
          ​​​​​​Standard with Special forks ^

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190707_185440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	873243 ​​​​​​

​​​​Standard with FJ forks and FJ triples ^

Tony, are you doing this mod to improve the calipers?

The Special's brakes can be greatly improved rather easily with SS lines and a Brembo 16mm master cylinder.

​​​​​​
          cheers Phil, im doing it because im not keen on leading axle forks on a road bike, plus im going for the standard look with my bike as much as i can. and yeah better callipers will be fitted at some point. ive already got SS brake lines and a 16mm master cylinder and its still 4 finger braking !!!!!!! I have R/A so suffer with a lot of joint pain and good brakes help, my GSX1100 has good 4 pot callipers and 2 finger braking is easy. I think at the end of the day i'll just get the standard yokes as well

Comment

Yep, if you do attempt the fork only swap, please let us know how it works out. When I swapped to the Special forks onto the Standard, I rode it 1K miles until I decided it was just too dangerous to keep that way.

And then there's this guy's 750..

Click image for larger version

Name:	chopper 2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	873250
            Last edited by bikerphil; 04-17-2023, 08:40 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

☮

Comment

Yep, if you do attempt the fork only swap, please let us know how it works out. When I swapped to the Special forks onto the Standard, I rode it 1K miles until I decided it was just too dangerous to keep that way.

will do that chop is insane !!!!! why would anyone do that

Comment

I imagine the side loading on the fork tubes (perpendicular to normal loading).
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                  that chop is insane !!!!! why would anyone do that
                  I would guess people got ideas of doing that from watching Orange county choppers back in the day.
                  I would love to ride it around the block once if I could.
                  Then I could say "don't ever try this at home"
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

☮

Comment

ive built a few chop's in my time but the longest forks i went with was 4inch overs, my mate did a 6inch over on his and the flex was noticeable, but that xs750 (i think) will be just un-ridable and in my mind dangerous

Comment

The standard has 5.12" of trail. When you add a sidecar it makes the steering hard. by putting on special forks the trail is reduced to 3.5".
                      If you use special top tree it takes down to 2.5" It makes the steering much easier. the bike should not be used as 2 wheeler, it is not safe.
                      This conversion costs alot less than raked trees or a leading link set of forks.

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                        The standard has 5.12" of trail. When you add a sidecar it makes the steering hard. by putting on special forks the trail is reduced to 3.5".
                        If you use special top tree it takes down to 2.5" It makes the steering much easier. the bike should not be used as 2 wheeler, it is not safe.
                        This conversion costs alot less than raked trees or a leading link set of forks.
                        have I read that right ?????? you've used a special top yoke with a standard bottom yoke ? if so how do you get the fork legs in when both yokes are out of line

Comment

Tony, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had 3 deaths in the family. This is from Hack'd magesine spring '96
                          i then took the top triple tree clamp from the parts bike and installed it. this required loosening the bottom triple tree
                          clamp pinch bolts and forcing the fork forward at the bottom to line up the tubes with top clamp. total trail reduction was
                          3" leaving 2" of trail.
                          This modification is only for SIDECARS it should not be done a 2 wheel motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                            Tony, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had 3 deaths in the family. This is from Hack'd magesine spring '96
                            i then took the top triple tree clamp from the parts bike and installed it. this required loosening the bottom triple tree
                            clamp pinch bolts and forcing the fork forward at the bottom to line up the tubes with top clamp. total trail reduction was
                            3" leaving 2" of trail.
                            This modification is only for SIDECARS it should not be done a 2 wheel motorcycle.
                            sorry for your loss.

ok i know what you are saying but !!!!! I can understand bending the steel bottom yoke to get the angle you need but the top aluminium yoke won't bend the same and wouldn't line up correctly with the steering stem. it would have to be forced on. not the safest way I think !!!!!

Comment

I saw and talked to Fred Hunteman at a sidecar event in september he said to have someone pull the wheel forward and the forks will slide in easily.
                              i will be finding out before too long i hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X