Ever ran into this carb issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever ran into this carb issue?

Beware, if you use "redline" or any strong intank carb cleaner/fuel injector cleaner dont use too strong a dose..

I used about double strength this time-about a couple months after I replaced needles and cleaned seats in my XJ1100, and now the new needles are leaking-carbs overflowing out backs of pod filters.

I'm pretty sure the carb cleaner is the culprit, because the last time they leaked it was right after I had used the cleaner as I remember it (then followed-several times in the carbs ajd..floats, etc.)

Oh almost forgot, the xj's have rubber (or neopreme) needle-tips, and I think the cleaner deteriated them and allowed them to leak fuel.

So if anyone else has history with this- or comments please share.
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Having never seen an XJ...

Does the XJ's carb fuel inlet seat have those screens on them?
    Could be chunks of deteriorating fuel line (caused by the cleaner)holding the needle and seat open. Or, it could be just what you've stated.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prom,

Upon entering the (dragon-just kidding) carbs again ,

The needles looked fine, so there went that theory, WHEW! am I glad to be wrong! And wasnt fuel line deteriated since they are new.

Maybe just some gunk that the cleaner loosened up and got into the seats, and yes they have screens under them, but of course the needle sits on top and screen on bottom-so could have gunk between the needle and seat.

But on bright side, the seat that I looked at looked shiney like new, and it gave me the opportunity to re-jet with the 122.5 mains Chevy sent me (thanks Chevy!)

Now no leaks, has nice lower growl, does better in lower RPMS, and seems to pull harder, havent gave it WOT yet, had to give SWMBO a ride through the twisties-was in the 70's today, was beatiful,

hopefully will take some pics next time and post them before beautiful leaves are gone for the year.

see ya'll
      Last edited by xj11john; 11-05-2005, 01:51 PM.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
      X