New Tailpipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tailpipes?

I have the mufflers off my 2, 2 into 1 exhaust, and its too loud so I was going to go find some aftermarket mufflers but, I measures the pipe that the mufflers would attach to, and its about 2 1/4 and I cant find any motorcycle mufflers that have that size. I was looking at the tapered ones on ebay but all of them are 1.5 inch or 1.75 inch inlet but I need quite a bit bigger

It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at my stock pipes. You can’t repack them? I have a set of Kerker 4-1 on now with no packing. Even with packing they sound nice. Without better. Stock too quiet. hate to see anyone cut up a good set of stock pipes.
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Here is a better explanation with pictures of my situation:

So I took the mufflers off these headers that I have a picture of.

The goal of this was to make the biker louder because with the muffler it was a little boring for me. So I took them off, took a while because they were very stuck but they are off and now I have rejetted the carbs for velocity and pod filters and it runs well with no mufflers. But On my test ride, it was way too loud, passed people and they were covering other ears. So I want to find a muffler that one, is 2 1/4 in diameter, 2, is chrome, and 3 is not nearly as restrictive as the stock ones.

I have considered trying to take some of the baffles out of the stock mufflers, I'll show a picture of each end, but they appear to be spot welded in place and I'm not sure how to get through that. Let me know if there are any good alternatives that I'm not seeing.

Comment

Well, you could just leave the mufflers off and just use the pipes..... JK
        Jeff Korn
        Original Owner 79XS1100 E
        Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Hi Patrick,,,,for a nice rumbling sound pick up a set of Harley Davidson mufflers,,,lots of them available as many owners take off the stock ones,,,,do a search on this site for the easy way to do it....most HD mufflers work and sound great as long as both are same length...I have used the Dyna model muffs for a few of my xs1100's and they sound cool,,,,any auto store should have muffler adapters if needed to connect header pipes to HD muffs,,,,,do it,,you wont be dissapointed......Mike in S.DIego, and Pa.

Comment

I've used glass packs inside straight pipes before and they do a nice job of quieting things down while still maintaining a decent sound. My bet is you could fit them into the pipes you already have or add a length of pipe with a tip of your choice. They're dirt cheap too on eBay.
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
            X