Engine won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine won't start

Hi guys,hoping you can help with a problem on my 1980 G.I am having difficulty getting the engine to fire.I have the floats set at 23mm and the timing is correct.I have fuel to the plugs and they are sparking,If I choke it when cold there is nothing but if I release the choke while cranking the engine it sometimes will fire.It runs well when going with no signs of richness but even when hot it sometimes won't fire either.I have fitted plastic floats so am not sure what the correct height should be.When the choke is on the engine cranks quite slowly but whizzes over when the choke is opened.Never seen this on other engines.The carbs have been cleaned well and I have the standard air box and filter.Any ideas please on where I should be looking.Thanks.

I thought the 1980 on came with plastic floats anyway ?? 78-79 had the brass floats. are your carbs off an early bike ?

Comment

Howdy,,,,,start with the plugs.
      1. pull out a plug and check its color, if good and ground it to engine to check spark while turning over, if you have spark,
      2. spray some instant start in the air cleaner opening, under seat and see if that helps fire it up
      3. spray instant start again and try firing it up
      4. check to see if petcock is on prime, and that there is inline filters and there is gas flowing through them
      5. also check kill switch, rock it on off a few times then repeat sequence and Pray to the engine gods,,,,,,,,keep us informed, Mike in San Diego and Pa.1

Comment

Yes Tony I did wonder that.Mine originally came with brass floats but they were faulty so I replaced with the plastic ones as some people had suggested.Funnily I seem to have had problems since the change which is why I am questioning the float height.Maybe I should go back to brass floats.It's definitely a G registered in NZ as a 1980.It's a standard with frame number 3X1-000264 and same engine number.

Comment

Oh and it doesn't have a kick start

Comment

Originally posted by xssidecar1200 View Post
            Yes Tony I did wonder that.Mine originally came with brass floats but they were faulty so I replaced with the plastic ones as some people had suggested.Funnily I seem to have had problems since the change which is why I am questioning the float height.Maybe I should go back to brass floats.It's definitely a G registered in NZ as a 1980.It's a standard with frame number 3X1-000264 and same engine number.
            it sounds like its a float height issue, its a case of trying different height adjustments or fitting the brass floats back in.

Comment

If you don't find a fuel problem, then consider:

(a) Maybe the battery is tired
              (b) Maybe the ignition pick up coils have broken wires that make intermittent connection
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

When troubleshooting always go back to the last thing changed or modified and reverse it. It's more than likely the floats. Try putting the old ones back in and see if she will fire up. Also, keep in mind if your float pins have rubber tips or plain tips depending on the year. All of these things have to be exact in order for it to meter fuel correctly.

Comment

Thanks everyone.It's definitely a G 1980.However I did have trouble with the inlet valves a while back and my engine has the smaller ones.But the carbs profile certainly points to it being the 1980 engine.Maybe Oceania models had some earlier parts fitted.I think I will go back to the brass floats however and try them.I can start it while juggling the choke and it runs really strongly when warm.I will do all the checks mentioned and let you all know what I find.Must get the new floats first.Thanks heaps.

Comment

Working...
                  X