Source for valve shims in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for valve shims in Florida

Being on the road full time brings challenges while riding a 43 year old bike, one of them being trying to find parts when needed. Generally speaking I've not had too much problem until just recently, I'd order something via eBay or a parts supplier and have it shipped to general delivery at a nearby post office.

It seems my bank and debit card issuer are two separate entities and a recent order for valve shims sent up all kinds red flags which had the shims delivered to an address in another state where my last debit card was sent. I'm still trying to work things out between the card issuer and the bank and in the mean time am wanting to get my valve shims swapped out.

Right now I'm in the Ocala Fl area and with the Daytona bike run happening I figured there'd be plenty of chances of hitting a vendor in person there to get them there. No dice! An antique motorcycle swap meet I went to Saturday had only one guy with a few Japanese parts and another swap meet in the town of Webster that I hit on Sunday had ZERO jap parts.

The local Yamaha shop in Ocala has no sources for shims either so here's the question. Does anyone know of a parts supplier, shop or backyard mechanic that might have shims? I'm quite willing to ride a day trip to grab them in person!
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

MikesXS is in Tampa and they carry new 29MM shims. Address is 201 Kelsey Ln Suite B, may want to contact them first making sure they have what you need.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That's who I made the order through that got sent to Missouri. It seems they don't actually have the parts on site, they're sent out from one of three warehouses depending on where you're at. It's possible to have them sent to their office in Tampa but you still need to pay the shipping.

The order I made through them was put back into the mail stream 10 days ago and has yet to make it back. Tried to get them to hold it there for me pick up in person which is when I found out they're not really a motorcycle parts house, merely a reseller! From what I gather they really don't know much about bikes, just advertising and setting up websites.
      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

We used to have a valve shim trade kit here. Someone has it.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

What size do you need? Let me know and I'll look at my box. I should be able to send priority mail to you.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ebay Retro-Motorcycles has all sizes. Shipped to your door (or the campground office). Lab3 I know this won't work for you because of the card thing (Paypal might work) but my answer is for the folks at home looking for shims.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392633591974
            Last edited by DEEBS11; 03-07-2023, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I have a stash of shims that I am willing to trade for the old ones. But even with a free swap, paying for shipping both ways for a few shims almost makes it unfeasible. over buying direct on'line. However, If I can help, just let me know what sizes you need and I'll check my kit.
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

LAB3, for what it:s worth, Kawasaki uses the same diameter shim.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X