An update on my XS1100SH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update on my XS1100SH

There is still a lot I have to do but I have had problems with the bike since I bought it. I have never been able to get more than 70 miles a tank, floats that got stuck if I accidently ran out of fuel, almost into September the engine started running bad. I learned that the previous owner never checked the valve clearances in the 12 years that he owned it. I checked and all 4 cylinders wasn't getting the best compression due to the valves not closing fully. I changed out the shims and then started working on the carbs. While the floats still like to stick from empty I got what appears to be the correct jets in and have the carbs adjusted. It is a lot easier to start the bike now from cold and it has power again. I rode it around a little bit today but I wasn't ready to take back to the highway yet as I didn't have someone with me in case I have issues. I was able to run it through all the gears so I am pretty excited. The only down side to today is when I took it off the center stand I lost my grip and dropped it. No dents but there is a spot on the tank that was taken down to bare metal. Now I have no excuse but to take the tank in to be repainted by a pro (I was going to probably next winter as I didn't do the best job when I painted the tank a few weeks ago).

A few years ago I saw a rig that a guy made out of PVC pipe that allowed him to set his entire carb rack into it to make float adjustments without having to mount them back onto the engine. Basically it was a straight section with four tees and a stubby length sticking out of each tee and some pieces of universal type radiator hose to clamp the rack to it. Seems like that might be some to consider trying seeing all the headaches you're having.
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

PVC pipe guy.

Comment

Working...
      X