Floats like to stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floats like to stick

I have a 1981 xs1100sh and the whole time I owned it if I accidently let to carbs run dry 3 and 4 would over flow with fuel. I recently replaced the needle and seats and set the float level and they will still stick only with the bowl on. Any one know what all to try to resolve this? I tried it with new floats and the results are still the same.

Originally posted by MechanicalRebel View Post
    I have a 1981 xs1100sh and the whole time I owned it if I accidently let to carbs run dry 3 and 4 would over flow with fuel. I recently replaced the needle and seats and set the float level and they will still stick only with the bowl on. Any one know what all to try to resolve this? I tried it with new floats and the results are still the same.
    Couple of things could be going on. First thing to check would be how freely the floats open and close on the their pins. You may have a sticking float issue and that can happen if too much gunk builds up on the pins. You will need to clean them if that is occurring. I always use a drill bit and carb cleaner. Just use the proper size bit by twisting it or pulling it back and forth through the pin channel on the floats. That generally remove all the build up and allows the floats to move more freely. The second thing to check are the carb float bowl gaskets. Make sure they don't protrude too far into the bowl area where the floats might be catching on them. If they are you need to trim them back a bit to prevent the floats from hanging on them.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Couple of things could be going on. First thing to check would be how freely the floats open and close on the their pins. You may have a sticking float issue and that can happen if too much gunk builds up on the pins. You will need to clean them if that is occurring. I always use a drill bit and carb cleaner. Just use the proper size bit by twisting it or pulling it back and forth through the pin channel on the floats. That generally remove all the build up and allows the floats to move more freely. The second thing to check are the carb float bowl gaskets. Make sure they don't protrude too far into the bowl area where the floats might be catching on them. If they are you need to trim them back a bit to prevent the floats from hanging on them.
      The pins have been cleaned and I have checked the gasket. It will only stick with the bowl on never with it off.

Comment

Maybe smear a bit of grease or antisieze on the float sides then put it together,then back apart and see if any witness marks can be found.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by MechanicalRebel View Post

The pins have been cleaned and I have checked the gasket. It will only stick with the bowl on never with it off.
          If the pins and floats are clean and move freely and the gaskets are ok and they are still sticking open then obviously something else is going on. Give us a bit more info on what all you have done. One other thing that comes to mind are the floats themselves. Are they straight? What I mean is did you make sure they are level across the area where the floats attach to on each side. If they are bent in that area it can cause the float to catch on the bowl. The clearances are not that much once everything is back together. If you could take some pictures it might help with more suggestions.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Rebel, the float issue IS being caused by the bowl gaskets. With bowls off of carbs, place gaskets in place on the bowls. Using a razer blade slice along inner face of bowls using bowl as a guide removing any excess gasket that protrudes. Wash the bowls out and install gaskets and bowls. Problem solved. Issue being that when the bowls are tightened back on carbs gasket squishes a bit making that inner edge of gasket protrude inward and side of float hits the gasket and stops float movement.....a common issue with the float bowl gaskets, even new ones. Clearance of float and sides of bowls IS minimal at best!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

who made the float valves ? some of the cheap Chinese ones are crap !!!! its best to use genuine ones if possible or ones that are made in Japan.

Comment

Mech Reb - Also, some tips are plain aluminum and later units are rubber tipped. Always best to get genuine Mikuni from Sudco or Ebay. I heard they drop the Chinese float pins out of stray weather balloons so beware.

Comment

I'm with motoman, I've seen a gasket that's a bit too fat to do it's job make a float hang. Also Deebs11 has some sound advice as well.
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

So the floats are level across and not catching on the gasket. I know this for a fact. I played with it a little longer after making the post, reset the float heights again and suddenly 3 and 4 no longer leaked. I thought I won and then I saw 1 leaking due to stuck float. As for the type I am using, I bought the part number that is sold on jetrus.

Comment

If they only leak on initial filling, the floats are getting stuck from dropping too low. Tap on the bowls when filling. There is a drop adjustment tang on the float to correct this.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I am not familiar with Jets R Us as a vendor. This could be a possible quality issue. Are there new gaskets under the float pin seat? A faulty gasket will let fuel past the entire level control system and overfill the bowl which will leak out of the overflow.

Comment

on the 81 special it has an o-ring which were replaced

Comment

I just want to say when you play with the tang it doesn't go where you think it goes. If you bend it up, it might actually need to be bent down. I use a digital caliper to check the float level. Be careful bending the tang.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I researched Jet R Us. Looks like they sell only genuine jet parts. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X