Question with adjusting floats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question with adjusting floats.

1981 xs1100sh I have the bowls off and was checking my floats now that I got 3 and 4 to stop dumping fuel out the vent. I read that between the bottom of the float and the gasket surface should be 24.7 - 26.7 mm. To be that height seems to high as if the floats drops too much it will get stuck. Any advice would help.

That diagram you posted is for the early type carbs with brass floats. Yours should have plastic floats and the measurement you need is 23mm...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230124_171748~2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	871791
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by MechanicalRebel View Post
      1981 xs1100sh I have the bowls off and was checking my floats now that I got 3 and 4 to stop dumping fuel out the vent. I read that between the bottom of the float and the gasket surface should be 24.7 - 26.7 mm. To be that height seems to high as if the floats drops too much it will get stuck. Any advice would help.
      that setting is for the early carbs with the brass floats, has yours got the black plastic floats ? if so then its 23mm

beat me to it Phil

Comment

Thank you guys. That did cross my mind but I dismissed it due to not finding one specific to the sh. I'm working on getting a physical manual instead of relying on this site.

Comment

Yep Tony, beat you by like a second or two. Great minds think alike. ​​​​​​

Rebel,
          The manual specific to the 81 will tell you to measure the fuel level and not the float height. If you set them by the method posted above, you'll be fine.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by MechanicalRebel View Post
            Thank you guys. That did cross my mind but I dismissed it due to not finding one specific to the sh. I'm working on getting a physical manual instead of relying on this site.
            download from an old members site.

https://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Yep Tony, beat you by like a second or two. Great minds think alike. ​​​​​​

Rebel,
              The manual specific to the 81 will tell you to measure the fuel level and not the float height. If you set them by the method posted above, you'll be fine.
              As a reminder bikerphil, the fuel level CORRECTLY measured is done with motor idleing. Clear fuel hose pushed onto fuel bowl drain and upward at side of carb.....THEN unscrew drain on side of carb. Fuel rises in hose to same level as what fuel level is in carb. Same procedure for each of the four carbs. Fuel level needs to be at center of lock washer of screw holding fuel bowl in place. Also, any float adjustment needed, 1mm of float change equals 3mm of actual fuel level change. This is done that way for 81 model carbs and XJ models.
              Last edited by motoman; 01-25-2023, 12:33 AM.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, you are 100% Brant, that is the absolute correct procedure, that's if one has the patience. FWIW, I've done the gas level measurement a few times (carbs off the bike) and with the fuel level right at the lock washer, the floats then measured an exact 23MM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

That is true Phil. I have a set from an 81 on my 78. I have always adjusted the carbs using the "upside down method". Note too that the 81 carbs seem to be identical to the 80 carbs with the exception of the bowl drain ports. I found that the mains were 110s and were obviously oem in both the 81 and 80 standards. YMMV The manometer tube method is too problematic for me...
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                  03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
                  X