new carb dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new carb dilemma

The heads of my #3 idle mixture screw and #1 pilot jet have been stripped out almost flat by the PO. Should I give them the drill/easy-out combo?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Don't have the answer for sure on that Jesse, but just wanted to let you khow I am running the sweet sounding stock system, as it is in perfect cond, cept where PO or someone allowed battery acid to leak onto chrome, does'nt look too bad, have an idea maybe how to remove......if it works will post it here, unless someone already has the solution? ...like to hear it. Someone here can give you the best "one shot, don't mess it up" prcedure for your dilemma, I'm sure.......kinda remember someone saying run a small bit slow in reverse......maybe will grab and back it out..........not sure.......maybe wait for a better answer tho.
    Last edited by motoman; 11-03-2005, 11:10 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You may want to try a left hand drill they work well '

XSivly
      Bruce
      Bruce Gerken
      '79 XS1100SF
      "The Black"
      '2009 BMW k1300GT'
      The Red Sled.
      St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

...with a left-handed drill bit for the grab, of course.

Originally posted by gerkenbruce
        You may want to try a left hand drill they work well '

XSivly
        Bruce
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I just removed a stubborn bowl drain plug using a screw extractor set. I like extractors over left hand drill bits because I have ended up just having a hole in a screw after using the left hand bit. I have had great luck with extractors... just give them a tap with a hammer and then screw to the left using an adjustable wrench or a tap handle.

Visual:

1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Before you do that, try using a small burr in a Dremel tool to cut a new slot. Hit it carefully with a fresh straight screwdriver bit in an impact driver, and you may be able to salvage the screws and jet.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

My problem with extracyors is that I never seem to get the right siize drill bit for the extractor an end up messing everything. Does any one have a handy dandy way of selecting drill bits for the different size extractors. I think the same PO had my LG cause #1 and # 3 screws are buggered up completely.

Marc

Comment

I believe it tells you on the package
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

new carb dilemma
                  The heads of my #3 idle mixture screw and #1 pilot jet have been stripped out almost flat by the PO. Should I give them the drill/easy-out combo?

mixture screw (if not frozen) can be backed out with an awl.
                  when I got my 80G someone had tried to drill one out and thought it wa going to be big trouble. came right out with the awl.

mro

Comment

Sorry, what is an awl?
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Sorry, what is an awl?

has a small handle like a screw driver, round shaft that slims down to a sharp point. most are about 6 inches long.
                      (wood working tool, but has many uses)

stick the point out near the screw edge, apply a little pressure and move the point of the awl counter clockwise. if screw is not really stuck it should back out.

mro

Comment

Sorry, what is an awl?

has a small handle like a screw driver, round shaft that slims down to a sharp point. most are about 6 inches long.
                        (wood working tool, but has many uses)

stick the point out near the screw edge, apply a little pressure and move the point of the awl counter clockwise. if screw is not really stuck it should back out.

mro

PS: I sprayed a little silcone lube first, let set a few minutes before getting screw out. (cost me $29 for a new screw from local dealer, so I got screwed, didn't know about this site then)

mro

Comment

Working...
                        X