carbs -couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs -couple questions

I removed the carbs on my 80 SG after I rode it to my storage unit. I proceeded to start stripping it down to clean the carbs and noticed some things. 1st- # 3 carb float bowl was dirtier than the rest. The other bowls looked surprisingly clean. 2nd- the butterflies facing toward the engine were dirty with some crud-is this normal? The rest of the carbs were not bad looking but did notice these things. Thoughts? I will further strip the carbs down and set the float levels.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

There could be a number of things causing your problems. I would start with the "O" rings for the seats in the carbs, if you saw a lot of black bits. Second would be the valve adjustment, is #3 intake at the low end, or tight? How about the exhaust valve? Third, is the plug cap still at 5K Ohm, or is it greater, say 7K or more? All I can think of on the cold night...
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No black bits at all. Just dirt that some carb spray on a rag fixed. I will strip everything down and inspect thoroughly. The bike ran good on a 40 degree day. I didn't ride it for a good month+ due to rain and constant knee issues. Started the bike and ran it until the carbs ran out of fuel.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

You may have just puller the last of the "junk" in the fuel system into #3. If it was running well before, I'd not worry too much about it.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Seems to me the only way #3 float bowl becomes more dirty is if the previous cleaning job didn't get the input pipe and the float needle filter as clean as the other carbs.

Regarding the other question, the butterfly valves have been really clean on every set of carbs I have ever pulled. I wonder if your air filter is doing the job? Air leaks between the air box and the carbs?

-Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I've seen the dirty butterfly issue before, check those valve clearances! A little crud in one float bowls could very well be an old fuel line breaking down. If the bike runs right do your regular maintenance and if something isn't broken don't try to fix it!
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

No airbox and am running APE individual air filters. Butterflies were dirty engine side of bike not air filter side. Going to thoroughly clean everything.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

When taking the carbs apart and cleaning them, where the float needles sit, when you take the float valves out, I sprayed carb cleaner and some gunk came out of the small passages at the bottom. I sprayed some more cleaner and used compressed air to clean this area real good.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                X