Switching to a Uni brand air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to a Uni brand air filter

Wandering around the country like I do it can, needless to say, be difficult to get parts when and where you need them. My air filter is in need of replacement so I went to a Yamaha dealer today and luckily found that they have access to Uni brand air filters and had them order one up for me, part number nu-2244 which should be a direct replacement for a stock paper type filter. It'll be nice to not have to worry about either carrying an extra or finding a new paper filter in the future but I do have a question. Should I be concerned with rejetting the carbs after making this swap? I've heard it can be an issue if you go with a K&N and was wondering if it applies here too.
    1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

I doubt you will have any problems with needing to rejet. Try it out first and see what happens.

Hope you're somewhere now where it's not too cold.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 12-13-2022, 10:25 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Swapped paper for K&N years ago with no adverse effect on performance. Pricey but permanent with proper maintenance.
      1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
      1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
      1984 Honda VFR750S
      Owned - 1976 XS750D
      Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
      Owned - (unknown year) XS650
      (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        I doubt you will have any problems with needing to rejet. Try it out first and see what happens.

Hope you're somewhere now where it's not too cold.
        Thanks for your reply, I'm camped just outside of Ocala right now.

1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
          Swapped paper for K&N years ago with no adverse effect on performance. Pricey but permanent with proper maintenance.
          Thanks for your reply, as mentioned in another thread it's always good to ask questions before breaking away from stock.

1980 XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
            I did the same. No jetting change for me as well.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Thanks for your reply, as mentioned in another thread it's always good to ask questions before breaking away from stock.
              Didn't see it mentioned so to save you a search the K&N YA-1400 is what you need. It is the first thing I buy and replace in all my bikes and as others have stated never have to change my jetting.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Didn't see it mentioned so to save you a search the K&N YA-1400 is what you need. It is the first thing I buy and replace in all my bikes and as others have stated never have to change my jetting.
                Interesting. Looked up that part number and sure enough it's what fits, about double the price of the Uni. When you look up "1980 Yamaha xs1100" on the K&N site it shows an oil filter and a universal pod type filter but not the part number you provided. Combine that with the price difference and you can see why I chose the Uni.
                1980 XS1100G

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I'm camped just outside of Ocala right now.
                  Yep, it's nice up there now but gonna get chilly in the 40s in a couple days.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

There IS a reason it's double the price. I've had a bike that had the Uni, and it was shedding parts into the engine. The K&N will NOT do that. I also run a K&N in my '79 Special, as well as many other bikes and cars. NO jetting required.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Interesting. Looked up that part number and sure enough it's what fits, about double the price of the Uni. When you look up "1980 Yamaha xs1100" on the K&N site it shows an oil filter and a universal pod type filter but not the part number you provided. Combine that with the price difference and you can see why I chose the Uni.
                      You are getting what you pay for. Based on the fact that you can actually wash and clean them and then re oil them makes them pay for themselves. As Ray stated the Uni will eventually break down and will need to be replaced.
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

As mentioned, the K&N website doesn't show the ya-1400 as being available and a quick Google search shows several retailers advertising them with all but one showing it as being out of stock. There are a couple of ebay listings with people selling used ones and I suppose you could go that route if you chose.

All I'm looking for is an air filter capable of being cleaned as opposed to being replaced. The "Go fast" aspect is of little importance to me, it it where I'd buy a vmax!

According to K&N's advertising they flow 50% more air. The question is then, how can you flow more air without having to add more fuel?

The YouTube channel called Project Farm is one of my favorites, some may be interested in seeing what this guy found while testing air filters. https://youtu.be/sJ3L-E-ufYo
                        1980 XS1100G

Comment

"The question is then, how can you flow more air without having to add more fuel?"

It is not forced air. the engine only drinks what it wants, therefore by using a UNI or K&N the engine doesn't starve from any resistance from a paper / dirty filter.
                          It is always getting the all the flow it was designed to take for a greatly extended period
                          Last edited by Schming; 12-15-2022, 08:21 AM.
                          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Does anyone have a current source for getting the K&N YA-1400. I need a replacement mine damaged and now I purchased one from a online company for about $60.00 and they sent a square filter had to ship it back.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                              Does anyone have a current source for getting the K&N YA-1400. I need a replacement mine damaged and now I purchased one from a online company for about $60.00 and they sent a square filter had to ship it back.
                              It looks like it may be discontinued. JEGS.com says it ships direct from the manufacturer. You could try it. eBay has them, used I assume.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X