light switch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light switch conversion

Here in the UK we don't need to have lights on permanently so i'm gona swap out the US spec R/H switchgear for a UK spec one so i can turn the lights off when I want. but I was wondering if the harness is US spec or will a UK switchgear be plug and play ? my bike is a US import by the way.

The '78 Standard has the switch on the RH side. None of the US Specials had it, as they are '79 and newer. The connections should be close or the same, as Yamaha tried to save money like all manufacturers. You may need to run one or two wires to "fix" it, but just from the connector, I think.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      The '78 Standard has the switch on the RH side. None of the US Specials had it, as they are '79 and newer. The connections should be close or the same, as Yamaha tried to save money like all manufacturers. You may need to run one or two wires to "fix" it, but just from the connector, I think.
      cheers Ray, theirs only one way to find out, im sure i'll figure it out as ive done it before.

Comment

At the risk of sounding old fashion…. So many bike to car accidents can be attributed to the car NOT seeing the bike. I would drive with my headlight on even if I didn’t have to. I’ve had more than one car pull out in front of me. It’s a lesson anyone with miles under their seat will tell you. Just my 2 cents. JK
        Jeff Korn
        Original Owner 79XS1100 E
        Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by jkorn View Post
          At the risk of sounding old fashion…. So many bike to car accidents can be attributed to the car NOT seeing the bike. I would drive with my headlight on even if I didn’t have to. I’ve had more than one car pull out in front of me. It’s a lesson anyone with miles under their seat will tell you. Just my 2 cents. JK
          Ive ridden with lights on and it makes no difference to the many cars that don't see me and try to kill me !!!!! i don't think riding in bright sunlight with the headlight on makes any difference anyway as the sun can blind drivers. the only way to keep safe is to ride defensively and with having over 45 years experience on UK roads i do ok i do ride with the lights on when in bad light though.

Comment

Hey Tony.

I’ve been riding since 1968. Defensive is the only way to go. Still I’ve had many close calls and some not so close that had me in intensive care at the trauma hospital in Seattle for too many days. Still wish I knew what happened that night. No memory of it. I figure any little bit helps. I’ve seen some bikes modified where the head light blinks off and on during the day.

Anyway, good riding and enjoy your XS. I have since 79. Jeff
            Jeff Korn

Comment

Hey Tony.

I’ve been riding since 1968. Defensive is the only way to go. Still I’ve had many close calls and some not so close that had me in intensive care at the trauma hospital in Seattle for too many days. Still wish I knew what happened that night. No memory of it. I figure any little bit helps. I’ve seen some bikes modified where the head light blinks off and on during the day.

Anyway, good riding and enjoy your XS. I have since 79. Jeff
              cheers Jeff, yeah ive been knocked off 3 times by car drivers years ago, now its just near misses. I ride by not trusting ANY car driver and think they just want to kill me even when you approach a car you think they see you but still pull out I always watch the wheels, if they move im on the brakes or heading for my escape route .

Comment

I also look at their face and eyes to see if they have at least looked in my direction.

On a side note, replacing the rear tire is a bitch. Decided to have a shop do it this time. Tube failed after just a couple of weeks. Pinched by the tire “holder”. I tried to replace the tube twice, but no luck. I pinched the tube. Going to try a different shop. Those two tread holders sure make it difficult. I’d rather overhaul the carbs than mess with that tire. 😉 Jeff
                Jeff Korn

Comment

I also look at their face and eyes to see if they have at least looked in my direction.

On a side note, replacing the rear tire is a bitch. Decided to have a shop do it this time. Tube failed after just a couple of weeks. Pinched by the tire “holder”. I tried to replace the tube twice, but no luck. I pinched the tube. Going to try a different shop. Those two tread holders sure make it difficult. I’d rather overhaul the carbs than mess with that tire. 😉 Jeff
                  can you do away with the tyre lock ? mine doesn't have one, you don't see them on the modern big bikes.
                  Last edited by Tonyxs11; 12-02-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

You can, but you need to do it correctly or you could have a "sudden" flat. Best way is a round head machine screw, nut, and lock washer. Screw head on the inside of the rim, the rest on the outside to hold it in place. JB Weld will also work, but you need to taper the hole from the inside of the rim to keep it from possibly "popping out" from a bump or while airing up the tire.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I used a carriage bolt with a rubber washer on the head. Metal washer & nylock nut on the outside. It's been years.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

“79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.”

ok so how did you replace your fuses. Mine is falling apart and one fuse only has an ear on one side. As much detail as possible please.

I’m still running original coils but have replaced the plug wires from them. Jeff
                        Jeff Korn

Comment

“79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.”

ok so how did you replace your fuses. Mine is falling apart and one fuse only has an ear on one side. As much detail as possible please.

I’m still running original coils but have replaced the plug wires from them. Jeff
                          thats a job i still need to do, a full fuse holder change. my main fuse had a broken ear so i just cut the ends off and soldered a single in line fuse holder for now.

Comment

I used an 8 gang fuse holder so I have a spare fuse for each circuit. Search around, they have different ones that you might like better, different the way the spades are located. And of course I used printing labels to label each circuit. You will have to make some type of mounting bracket, it can be very thin metal. I also suggest you replace your coils, just my opinion. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...xoCBg4QAvD_BwE
                            Attached Files
                            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

https://xs11.club/forum/modification...el-to-tubeless
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X