Continuous spark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous spark question

I got a 1979 XS1100 about six months ago and got it running and started tuning it but I've developed an electrical issue where it's sparking continuously, and the spark only gets fatter when it should be sparking and not turning off all the way. I've traced the wiring back and it's not shorting out just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has had the same problem?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks you!

-Izzy

12V is always provided to the coils, and the Ignition Module breaks the current to trigger the spark.

So, maybe the wire between the coil(s) and the Ignition Module might have an intermittent open, or the Ignition Module has a problem? Or the Ignition Module has an intermittent ground connection?

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

are you earthing the plugs on the head so you can see the spark ? hows the bike running ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
        are you earthing the plugs on the head so you can see the spark ? hows the bike running ?
        Yes, it's a constant spark but gets fatter when it's supposed to be sparking and it's not running at all anymore just a backfire here and there

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          12V is always provided to the coils, and the Ignition Module breaks the current to trigger the spark.

So, maybe the wire between the coil(s) and the Ignition Module might have an intermittent open, or the Ignition Module has a problem? Or the Ignition Module has an intermittent ground connection?

Okay, I'll check the wires and if that's not it should I look into buying a new ignition module or is there a way to repair it?

Comment

Originally posted by izzy View Post

Yes, it's a constant spark but gets fatter when it's supposed to be sparking and it's not running at all anymore just a backfire here and there
            not sure what you mean by "fatter" ? your getting a spark which is a good sign, is your problem somewhere else ? try a new set of plugs first before you fork out for a TCI.

Comment

Originally posted by izzy View Post

Okay, I'll check the wires and if that's not it should I look into buying a new ignition module or is there a way to repair it?
              Some folks have opened it and found cracked solder joints. They were able to re-solder them successfully. YMMV.

For the record, I have no way to know what your bike's problem is. I'm just offering ideas to help you find it.

You might want to measure the resistance of the pick-up coils since they are a common source of Ignition failures. There is a connector above the fuse box that is easy to access for these measurements. See the factory service manual for details. However, I don't know how they could cause the problem you describe.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

You do know this is a "wasted spark" engine, correct? The two plugs on the coil with BOTH spark at the same time, even though only one is on compression stroke. If that is what you are seeing, it's normal. So 1 and 3 will both spark at the same time, and 2 and 4 will spark at the same time.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  You do know this is a "wasted spark" engine, correct? The two plugs on the coil with BOTH spark at the same time, even though only one is on compression stroke. If that is what you are seeing, it's normal. So 1 and 3 will both spark at the same time, and 2 and 4 will spark at the same time.
                  do you mean 1 and 4 then 2 and 3 ????

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

do you mean 1 and 4 then 2 and 3 ????

Agreed. And DiverRay knows this. He must have had a senior moment like I do.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post

Agreed. And DiverRay knows this. He must have had a senior moment like I do.
                      yep, we all have them

Comment

I've never had a senior moment........ Well at least not that I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                        X