broke starter button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broke starter button

This weekend wa4s probably the last of the warm riding weather for the season. So I thought I better go for a ride. Battery was low, wouldn't hardly turn over Sat, so I put the charger on it. Sun I was all ready for a ride. Went to start it and the starter button was gone. I found it on the floor. Bummer. I got one on the way. Hopefully it will still be warm enough for a ride once I get it.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

have you not got a kickstart ?

Comment

That happened to me few yrs back. I put needle nose pliers in where the button was to start. But be careful, the spring can complete circuit and make it keep starting. Also, the horn is the same so you could use it for a while as the start ...
      80 G

Comment

Yes I have a kick start and I thought about using a screwdriver to stick in the button hole but the thought of stalling it when I'm in traffic making a left turn does not sound good.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I used a ball point pen on mine a few years back. It's easy to carry, and easy to use and put away when done.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

anything that will fit in the hole will work to start the bike.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

I have been having starter button issues from the get go. Bought a new one and installed it. Worked for a bit, then stopped working. I'm thinking about bypassing the starter alll together with my own more reliable starter button hidden somwhere on the frame of the bike. Can also be used as an added theft deterant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinspickle View Post
                I have been having starter button issues from the get go. Bought a new one and installed it. Worked for a bit, then stopped working. I'm thinking about bypassing the starter alll together with my own more reliable starter button hidden somwhere on the frame of the bike. Can also be used as an added theft deterant.
                You say you rebuilt it. What did the welds look like on the wiring inside? They might need to be redone.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

I got the new button yesterday. Got it installed after I dropped the little metal button many times. That's a little part. Tried to start it and would only run on 2 cylinders, 3&4. 1&2 pipes were cold. I didn't feel like pulling the carbs at that time so today I pulled the carbs and gave them a quick clean. Put them on and it gave two grunts and fired right up. I took it for a ride. It was 53 deg. out. the bike ran great. Man that WOT feels nice.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X