carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb issues

im having a bit of a problem getting my 79 SF to run right at idle, running rich. the mixture screws are missing the springs but comparing the screws to new ones it looks like mine are the wrong ones.
    mine taper off but at the last 5mm or so theirs a steel straight pin sticking out the end ???? but looking at OEM ones they taper off to the very end. looks like someone has been messing with them

this is a factory one, p.n. 2A2-14923-00

Last edited by Tonyxs11; 10-16-2022, 12:52 PM.

That one in the pic is for the early type carbs, the late type have the type with the flat tip. Post a pic of your carbs and we'll help identify which type they are.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Im pretty sure they are the right carbs for a 79.

this is the mixture screw in them

Comment

Yep, you have the correct early type carbs that use the pointy type mixture screws. Many times, people overtighten the screws and the tips get stuck and break off in the carb body. Then, when they try to remove them, they booger up the hole and it becomes enlarged. Maybe that was the reasoning for using the peg tip mixture screw. Or they just didn't know any better. Just a thought.

That screw in the pic isn't even correct for the late type carbs, totally different.

The tap thread size for the correct mixture screws is M5X0.5 in case you need to clean up the threads in the carb body.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 10-17-2022, 06:57 AM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Yep, you have the correct early type carbs that use the pointy type mixture screws. Many times, people overtighten the screws and the tips get stuck and break off in the carb body. Then, when they try to remove them, they booger up the hole and it becomes enlarged. Maybe that was the reasoning for using the peg tip mixture screw. Or they just didn't know any better. Just a thought.

That screw in the pic isn't even correct for the late type carbs, totally different.

The tap thread size for the correct mixture screws is M5X0.5 in case you need to clean up the threads in the carb body.
          yeah cheers Phil just what i was thinking !!!! will have to spend more money on a set on mixture screws

Comment

I wish I had you guys skill set. My 1981 MNS is in the shop now getting the carbs rebuilt, and the price (so far) is over $900.
            1981 Midnight Special
            Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

Originally posted by normalthom View Post
              I wish I had you guys skill set. My 1981 MNS is in the shop now getting the carbs rebuilt, and the price (so far) is over $900.
              i was a bike mechanic for many years which helps

Comment

And that is exactly the reason so many of us learned to do it ourselves! It is not that hard and there is always helpful advice here so do not be afraid to save your bucks and learn something new. Yes it does take time and patience but so does earning a thousand bucks to hand over to someone who does not get it right.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

1000% agree Rasputin!
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Before spending that kind of money you would have been better off just asking if someone on this site would have been willing to have a go at them for you. If you plan to keep the bike you should try to work on the bike yourself. Most shops do not have mechanics that know how to work on these old bikes. Mind you there probably are a few left out there but they are getting more and more rare with each passing year.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

mixture screws turned up today, should make a difference !!!

Comment

Oh boy...at that price I think it's worth enlisting the aide of my mechanic buddies. Take pictures-ask questions-read manual.
                        But hey, what do I know?
                        ( I know I need mine rebuilt and the petcocks, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X