XS1100 Crank and rod journal / bearing information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Crank and rod journal / bearing information

I am a new member here, Long time Yamaha guy (I was a dealership wrench when the XS750/850/1100 series came out) I am looking for some details on the crank and rods. I am working on another Yamaha model that pre-dates this family a little but is carried into these bikes, the XS500. Yamaha is the best of all the brands for standardization so I am taking a chance that the crank mains and rod bearing size might be the same given the XS500 is basically half an XS1100. The XS mains and rods look like they carried forward to the FJ series too.

If anyone has an XS1100 crank (even a bad one) and can provide the main and rod-bearing journal diameter (does not have to be to the .000 mm) and the width of the rod journal on a connecting rod it would be a HUGE help, additionally if anyone has a crankcase apart the width of the main bearing journal would be a big help. I know this does not mean the bearings will work, but it will let me know if they are in the ballpark. The next step would be to buy some and start checking them with plastigauge.

I thank anyone that might be able to help in advance for the assistance!

Welcome.

Although I am not able to help, others will be along shortly.

In the meantime, the search feature can be useful because a long history is preserved on this site.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Got you covered....

Crank Journal Diameter 36.0 MM
      Con Rod Journal Diam. 42.3 MM
      Main Bear. Journal Case Width 19.3 MM
      Bearing Shell Width 18.4 MM
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221006_213644.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	870693
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by VintageTZ View Post
        I am a new member here, Long time Yamaha guy (I was a dealership wrench when the XS750/850/1100 series came out) I am looking for some details on the crank and rods. I am working on another Yamaha model that pre-dates this family a little but is carried into these bikes, the XS500. Yamaha is the best of all the brands for standardization so I am taking a chance that the crank mains and rod bearing size might be the same given the XS500 is basically half an XS1100. The XS mains and rods look like they carried forward to the FJ series too.

If anyone has an XS1100 crank (even a bad one) and can provide the main and rod-bearing journal diameter (does not have to be to the .000 mm) and the width of the rod journal on a connecting rod it would be a HUGE help, additionally if anyone has a crankcase apart the width of the main bearing journal would be a big help. I know this does not mean the bearings will work, but it will let me know if they are in the ballpark. The next step would be to buy some and start checking them with plastigauge.

I thank anyone that might be able to help in advance for the assistance!

Hi VintageTZ

If you need any other measurements, I can open up the NOS crank bearing kit that I just listed on ebay:

NOS Yamaha XS 1100 XS11 Crank Bearing Set (blue,black,green,yellow, no brown) | eBay

Bob
        Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 10-07-2022, 11:48 AM.
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts: