right rearset / brake pedal install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right rearset / brake pedal install question

Can someone enlighten me if there is a particular sequence to get the right rearset and brake pedal assembly installed with the exhaust in place? I had to remove the rearset to separate the exhaust in the back--and now I find it very challenging to get the brake pedal shaft in fully enough against the tension of the spring with the exhaust in place. I'm sure I'm missing something...
    thanks
    Mike
    1979 XS1100F
    1978 Suzuki GS750E

Also just want to confirm that the spring hooks under the rearset, not into one of the recesses. Of course I didn't take a picture...
    thanks
    1979 XS1100F
    1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

I usually use a large pair of channel locks to squeeze the assembly so the shaft is far enough out and at the same time, install the lever and insert the bolt. There should be a witness mark on the shaft and the lever, line them up for proper pedal height. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum with the pliers.

Maybe these will help...

Looks like it can be installed 2 different ways.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220928_184847.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	870597 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220928-190532.png
Views:	220
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	870599

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220928-185058.png Views:	0 Size:	320.8 KB ID:	870598
      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-28-2022, 05:06 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        I usually use a large pair of channel locks to squeeze the assembly so the shaft is far enough out and at the same time, install the lever and insert the bolt. There should be a witness mark on the shaft and the lever, line them up for proper pedal height. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum with the pliers.

Maybe these will help...

Looks like it can be installed 2 different ways.
        Thanks Phil. I ended up using a carpenter's clamp to squeeze it all together, but your channel lock method gave me the idea.
        cheers
        1979 XS1100F
        1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Working...
        X